• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

F150 302 swap? Good place to start?

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I've got an 85 ranger prerunner that I have recently turned into my full time project toy. I currently have the 2.3 in it but the motor is shot and I'm getting ready to do a rebuild but on the other hand I could probably swap in a 302 for a comparable price as to building the 2.3 for power. I don't really know anything about doing the 302 swap but im confident that with some research and a big hammer I can do it. my question here is, I just found an 87 f150 302 with a manual trans complete truck for less than just a simple master rebuild would cost me for my 2.3. Would this truck be a good place to get started for this swap or am I better off looking for something different?

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Much appreciation. :)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The intake won't fit because it is huge. Probably be best thing going right now is to grab the intake and cam out of an Explorer and switch it over to that style. On top of them being thinned out (and filling up junkyards) they are one of the better performing intakes out there.

The trans in the truck has the shifter pretty forward, the 97+ trans fit better with the shifter farther back like a Ranger transmission. If you are 2wd you will need to watch for the speedo drive on the 97-98's. 4wd won't matter as long as you use a t-case with a port. IIRC with the 97+ stuff you may need to change the gear inside to properly work with the cable drive gear (Look for Twister's build thread, pretty sure he changed it in his 97-98 t-case)

The trans isn't a direct bolt in, you will need to enlarge the holes, the ones on the 97+ trans are 12mm. A sbf uses 1/2" bolts (12.7mm) Easy enough to do into aluminum, just putting it out there.

Last edited:

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks 85. As far as fitment issues under the hood the only thing I'm concerned about is the frame rails because I'm going to be cutting off my front clip entirely and doing an engine cage. Now that 87 motor would be an EFI motor correct?

As far as shifter fitment in the cab, I am going to be completely removing the dash and what not to give me more leg room and make more room for a cage. Here's a link with picture references http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Summer06/seanshaw.htm will this give me enough room for the shifter from the 87 f150 or would I still need to find a trans from 97+? I don't mind if its a bit of a reach as long as it fits.

Speedo and all of that stuff I'm also not worried about since this will only be a play truck for offroad use only. At the most it might get registered as a vintage vehicle so that I can legally tow it on a dolly rather than a flatbed here in Utah. If I don't go that route though it will only be registered as a strictly OHV.

Thanks again.

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh and for the trans not being a direct bolt in, are we just talking about the size of the bolts or does this include the location of them as well? I currently have a crossmember that I built myself in there now that also is the mounting point for my radius arms. I can very easily modify that one to accommodate bigger bolts or I can just build a new one if it needs to be in a new location all together.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The hood interferes with the '150 intake, that is what the snag is. If you are not running a hood it wouldn't be an issue but it wouldn't be bad to have something over the engine to keep the weather out at any rate.

Bolts for the bellhousing. Just too small, location is correct. May or may not line up with your crossmember, just depends on how the chips land when you get it together.

Last edited:

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
One more question off the top of my head before I commit to go and pick this truck up. What were the options for the rear ends in the f150? And what were the lug patterns? Thank you for all your help. You've given me a great start as to what to expect.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The intake won't fit because it is huge. Probably be best thing going right now is to grab the intake and cam out of an Explorer and switch it over to that style.
Problem is that the '87' F-150 still had a flat tappet cam. Not sure if it would be a roller block or not.
Dave

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
One more question off the top of my head before I commit to go and pick this truck up. What were the options for the rear ends in the f150? And what were the lug patterns? Thank you for all your help. You've given me a great start as to what to expect.
8.8, 5x5.5. Explorer has the same but with the same 5x4.5 as a Ranger, 95+ has disk brakes.

Problem is that the '87' F-150 still had a flat tappet cam. Not sure if it would be a roller block or not.
Dave
That is a good point, I am pretty sure after '86 they were set up for it.

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have one other issue that might kill the deal for me. The f150 is 4x4 and I'll be keeping my truck 2wd. What are my trans options here? Can I make the 4x4 trans 2wd for a decent budget price or would I be better off getting a different 2wd trans all together. This might kill the deal because for the price of the full truck it will marginally be affordable for me but I don't think I'll have the funds to get a new trans or pay for an expensive adapter for the 4x4 one.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
First, I haven't read the previous responses. I would just run the trans with t-case if the front output isn't a slip yoke. That could be really handy when towing or moving trailers in a tight spot because of the lower gearing option.

Edit; My above suggestion is made without any real knowledge of what's involved, it's just something I've thought of doing myself. It may also work if you use larger tire rather than changing rear end gears, but again I haven't really checked into it.

Last edited:

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is a pretty genius idea, only question there is clearance for the tcase I suppose.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is a pretty genius idea, only question there is clearance for the tcase I suppose.
Shouldn't be a problem depending on what you have. If not a JY case is usually under $100

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals