• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 2WD V-8 Swap PS conversion

Diggerauditor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I did a V-8 swap into my 88 2WD last year with a 97 exploder motor and accessory setup. I want to convert to a ranger or saginaw PS pump, because the exploder unit will not drive my truck with 4" lift and 235 tires. Is there a bracket that I can use and still maintain current accessory brackets or will I need to change the whole drive belt setup. If so what bracket do I use or where do I get one. The wrecking yard here has plenty of items to choose from and I will be going out this weekend to search it out. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Diggerauditor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK guys here's the deal. I broke down and talked to the Duff technical guy and we have come to the conclusion that the custom ss braided line may be the problem. He said that for some reason he has had the teflon lining collapse on him twice. I'm going to try the stock hose and see what happens. I had to order one and it will be here today so I'll let you know how it goes.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just have plain oil rated nose for the return and a '92 4.0 Ranger hose for the pressure and my Explorer pump turns my 31's fine. The first gens are all standard threads, the Explorers are all metric so you need something in between. I had to straighten the bends in the steel part of the pressure line but it fit fine. One of these days when I get bored I am going to cut the steel part down and reflare it so it looks cleaner, I haven't got to it yet though.

Here is a writeup I did on my conversion:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133205

It is kinda stiff when it is really cold out but it warms up fast.

Last edited:

Diggerauditor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Awesome to know. That will save me some time not having to change fittings at the box. going to go pick one up tomorrow. May try the jy to get one to trial fit it.

For all the others in need, the hose in question is used on 90-97 4.0 Rangers 2WD and 4X4, as well as 91-94 4.0 Exploders 2WD and 4X4.

Thank you so much 85_Ranger4x4, you're A godsend.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Just an FYI, the 2nd gen explorer pump puts out more pressure and volume than the ranger pumps. Personally I'd use them over the saginaw pump...

SVT

Diggerauditor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well the new hose do not fix the problem. So figuring there are only 3 parts to the PS system I went to the JY and picked up a steering box out of a 94 exploder 4x4. It works better than mine but still have to grunt to turn the wheels. That leaves the suspension. I'm including some pics of my front drag link to show the angle. I'm thinking I may have a frozen ball joint or mb the drag link may be at too much of an angle for the tie rods to operate correctly. Here are some pics and I'll open a new thread in the steering forum. Thx for the help.

Linkage[1].jpgLinkage[2].jpgLinkage[3].jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals