• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear drum knocking noise

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
About two years ago, I had the rear drums replaced at a local shop. Shoes weren't terribly old. I kept getting a knocking noise like someone knocking on a door (knock...knock...knock) when hitting the brakes and going to a stop. They kept taking everything apart and adjusting whatever, and it would stop, but then come back a few weeks later. I finally had it and just got new shoes at the Ford dealer and it fixed the problem.

About a month ago, took the truck in for inspection to the same shop. Had the rear wheel seal leaking all over the right rear drum and just starting to leak on the left one (but not bad... just started). The place cleaned it up and degreased everything and installed new wheel seals. Took it home and drove around a bit and smelled a burning coming from the left side drum area. Took it back to the shop and they said "the brakes needed to be adjusted, that was all". No issues for two weeks... then knock...knock...knock... same knocking issue from two weeks ago. What is causing this knocking noise? What is the shop not doing right?

The noise is a light noise and happens from around 20MPH to 0.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Did they inspect the bearings? Sounds like it could be internal. It is hard to say without being there to inspect it. I would try another shop and see if they can pin point it and then take it back to the first shop for repair (sine you should have some kind of warranty).

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Not sure, I brought it to the dealer, at least they'll fix it right like last time hopefully.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Sounds like they aren't getting something installed properly in the brakes to keep causing the problem.

I was having a similar problem a while back, about once a week or so, I'd get the metal on metal squealing noise, which in my case I knew 100% sure that the brakes were good because I had just replaced everything including a new hardware kit. Well, the first time I pulled the drum I noticed that the spring that goes to the self adjusting mechanism was sitting on the bottom of the drum....ahh the squealing noise, but why in the world was that spring coming off. I went through this ordeal for about a month, finally the last time it happened I took a pair of pliers and bent the crap out of the end of the spring, put it back on and haven't had the problem sense.

Possibly could be one or more of the springs are not seated properly and keeps coming lose, of course the shop won't tell you what they "fix" they just want your money. So its been several weeks now for me and I haven't had the problem anymore.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals