• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A bit torn. Do body work now or wait?

jhammel85

So my truck needs body work done and I have just about everything I need to do it except for doors and a fender.

My worry is if i should basically piece meal the body work and do a little at a time over the winter or if i should wait and do body near the end of winter and paint in the spring.

My fear is that my truck is a daily driver and snow (salt) is always a problem. I dont want to do all this body work and prime it only to have it rust over the winter. Now i understand that the primer might seal and ill have to do the usual prep work before I paint in the spring regardless, it still worries me that I'll end up with a bad paint job if i dont do everything at once.

What do you think? Im itching to get out there and start welding!

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would do the body work now and prime it.
Reason being you may find other things that need tending to while doing this, which would mean more of a delay if you waited.
And any rust over the winter on repaired areas will just be surface rust and easily dealt with before final paint

Last edited:

jhammel85

I thought the same about the rust. Rust does creep though, you know? If I'm totally honest, i have cold feet. I shouldnt but I do.

Hmm, i should start a build on here.. Thanks again RonD

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
Transmission
Automatic
do the body work now, then use epoxy sealer. No rust. Primer absorbs water, could rust.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Yep, and try to seal the backside of the metal too if you can...

AJ

jhammel85

Will do. Thanks for the tips, all. I'm trying to save myself from headaches down the road. Outside of the typical dings and dents, I have rusty wheel wells to address (new panels are in my garage), Door Jamb rust, passenger side fender rust and a few pin holes here and there that need to be filled in. Overall, I've seen and dealt with worse but we'll see what happens when I get into it...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Will do. Thanks for the tips, all. I'm trying to save myself from headaches down the road. Outside of the typical dings and dents, I have rusty wheel wells to address (new panels are in my garage), Door Jamb rust, passenger side fender rust and a few pin holes here and there that need to be filled in. Overall, I've seen and dealt with worse but we'll see what happens when I get into it...
How are you dealing with the door jambs?

I haven't been able to find the pieces I need to fix mine.

jhammel85

Mine is rotted out as shown, except it has a hole all the way through now. uploadfromtaptalk1408374472702.jpg

Luckily an awesome member on here had what i needed and chopped it out.

Its probably the only way to go unless you wanted to use metal mesh and bondo... Thats something the idiots before have all over my truck. Im making a build thread now so if you swing by sometime in the near future, you'll see the boulder of bondo coming out of my rear fenders. Literally a few inches thick..I'm doing my best to avoid bondo unless I'm skimming.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yup, that is exactly what mine needs (not that bad though)

I wish LMC or somebody would get on the ball and make that piece. EVERY Ranger I have looked at in the JY is the same if not worse than mine so it must be pretty common.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for posting the question. Mine is in pretty good shape but last winter really beat up the paint around the fender wells bad and some serious surface rust has started to show.

Want to get at least those areas before they get any worse and protect up some others. Just not sure how to go about it really.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for posting the question. Mine is in pretty good shape but last winter really beat up the paint around the fender wells bad and some serious surface rust has started to show.

Want to get at least those areas before they get any worse and protect up some others. Just not sure how to go about it really.
I would like to coat the lower rockers with bedliner to give the gravel something to play with besides paint. The real stuff not the rattlcan crap.

Dunno if I am going black or tan yet though...

jhammel85

Yeah, there are quite a few body parts they dont have. As they gwt older, hopefully they'll start offering them.

Hell, im looking for the tailgate bushings on LMC right now. No dice.. They have them for third gens though so i suppose theres hope.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, there are quite a few body parts they dont have. As they gwt older, hopefully they'll start offering them.

Hell, im looking for the tailgate bushings on LMC right now. No dice.. They have them for third gens though so i suppose theres hope.
I don't know if first gens have bushings, I remember running into that when I picked up a different tailgate.

jhammel85

Oh really? Damn, well that might be why, lol. Mine rattles like crazy. It needs to be adjusted too.

I hope to find a decent tailgate around here soon. I dont really care fof the ss ford lettered panel i have on mine now. I wany a stamped ford tailgate. They just look perfect on a 1st gen.

jhammel85

I welded in my fenders and all seems well. I need to do a bit more of the detailed work like wet sanding it and all and i need to sand down an imperfection or two.

So if i shoot it with epoxy primer sealer, am i able to sand that down in a few months and do the wetsanding then? I just want to keep all of this sealed from the weather till then. I'd also hate to seal it and then wet sand it down, and then reseal it back up again if that causes problems. Im just too timid to let it stay primed all winter. I dont know enough about sealers...

Thanks again for everyones help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals