• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Going Bald 1987 Bronco II shuts off

RDC

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Update

This is what I have done so far, new intank fuel pump and filter,drained and cleaned all the trash out of tank, new filters on frame cartridge and inline, new TFM on dist and did the remote fender mount, new plugs and wires, switched out both map and tps with ones on my other BII that runs great. Here are two videos , fuel pressure check and codes from diagram I got for making a OBD1 code reader. Did the fuel pump trick I found here to keep FP running, ground FP position on OBD connector, one can of SEAFOAM. Sorry about the name on Photobucket ( if it shows ) but all I tried were taken so I used it. Here is the link thanks.
http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff466/UNED2GETBENT/

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Did you replace both of the pumps or did you reinstall the old high pressure pump that was on it? ( I seem to remember you replacing the hi pressure one ) it seems to me that the pressure is a bit low to start off with (about 29 psi) and seems to drop down a lot (19-20 psi) at WOT. I don't own a fuel pressure gauge to check what mine is but, As i remember it is supposed to be about 35 psi at idle, and not sure at WOT. And i cant tell you on the codes i have an old Snap on scanner that i use for codes. Sorry i cant be of more help but my internet wont stay on for more than 5 minutes at a time, so i cant really look anything up.

RDC

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks B/C, well it finally quit running all together, I did replace the in tank pump with a new one, I did check the old HP (on the frame )pump at first by removing it and testing it off frame it did pump and transfer fuel from a gas can to another the out put was a strong stream but I had no way to check the out put pressure. After all that I put it all back together and did the checks you saw on the video. Shortly after that it I checked the cartridge filter again to see if the SEAFOAM broke up trash and it got in the filter and was restricting the flow. The filter was ok , but I replaced it again with a new one and tried to start it-- no joy! Boy was I getting P/O by now. My next thing is to take the filter and reservoir cup out/off and turn on the in tank pump to see if it is working .So if it is I guess it is either the HP pump or the relay again, but I did do the grounding of the HP so it would stay on, I could hear it running but no fuel was going to the rail. At this point in time I am thinking it was a poor design having two pumps cause most all of the new cars/trucks today only have one .I have even considered trying to do that and use only one in tank HP and eliminating the frame pump and reservoir cartridge all together and moving the canister filter ( the last one in line ) to a better location. I will research that and see if it is possible or feasible to do it . Thanks again for all the help.

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Im not 100% sure but i think that the 89 and 90 b2 switched to the HP intank pump, and got rid of the pump on the frame rail.

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
EDIT: I just checked my 89 and it doesnt have the HP pump on the rail.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
You will need to make sure the intank pump is working also. If it is bad it will cause the high pressure pump to fail eventually unless you keep the tank full. It was 88-89 they switched to a single pump in the tank it seems the dual fuel pump system is allways problematic especially with age.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
You may have blockage in the fuel line also or in the pickup tube try disconnecting it and giving it a blast of air. Another good fuel system cleaner is 4 ozs of acetone in a full tank of gas once you get it running good put a small amount in once a year to keep the varnish from building up from the new fuel we are seeing at the pumps. Most fuel injector cleaners have a high percentage of acetone at about 30 times the cost. 3 to 4 ozs is all you need to add to do the same job. In my opinion

RDC

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
And another update=DUH !

Well as I said previously it quit running altogether. After checking I found I was getting no spark. To make a long story short (see pic) I removed the ground connector, dont know the actual name for it, out of the line and connected the wires back together. It started right up. Now I still have the fuel problem but at least I can go form here. Oh it was fun to beat it down with the hammer.

Attachments

RDC

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Up and running Hooray !

Hats of and kudos to "kimcrwbr1" :icon_thumby::icon_cheers:, you had the winning solution. It was a blockage in the cartridge canister fuel filter. The top line was plugged up with crud. Cleaned it out and BINGO running like a top. THANKS TO ALL who replied on this.:yahoo:

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
good to hear you got it up and running.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals