• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1997 Explorer very bad noise in front end

dlevi2121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hello I have a 1997 Explorer 5.0 AWD it has a bad noise coming from the front end I thought it sounded like the axles were bad it would do it going down the road and if you would turn sharp like in a parking lot it got really bad so I changed the axles and it still does it I took the front drive shaft out and I do not have any noise so would you think the front axle would be out of it or not my friend told me to check the drive shaft cause they were known for striping the teeth off and thats what it sounds like it teeth jumping over each other so I am just trying to determine as to what one I need if it would be the transfer case or the axle? Any help would be great thanks :icon_thumby:

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Oh my God! Please, learn to use punctuation. You can capitalize "Explorer AWD" but can't at the beginning of a sentence?

Split up your run-on sentence or at least make a paragraph break for us to read more easily. It makes it incredibly difficult to follow.

This fix should become your first priority.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Regarding automotive noises, the "bad noise" could be a humming, grinding, chattering, whirring, tapping, or rattling.

If it's a grinding that only occurs when your AWD is engaged, then it is not a wheel bearing as that would turn all the time. I doubt it would be the constantly-engaged transfer case, and would open up the pumpkin/front differential and see what's going on in there.

The other area of concern, if it's a whirring or slight grinding sound, could be at the spindle/axle interface (since it occurs while you are turning). Does it mainly happen when you turn left, turn right, or both? Are the U-joints and everything good everywhere?

dlevi2121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It makes this noise going straight down the road but when you turn left or right it is a lot worse. I replaced the axles and it still does it. Like I said she noise sounds like a splined shaft jumping over the teeth. This explorer does not have u joints in the front end just cv shafts. I checked the u joints in the front axle and they are fine. I have removed the front drive shaft and I have no noise now can the transfer case still be bad only running the rear end? This is all wheel drive all the time it's the 5.0 I can not turn it on or off or change from to high or low in it.

short bus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it stoped making that sound when you pulled the front shaft its not the hub bearings. More than likely it is in the front gear set. My wifes did the same thing and it was a bad barring in the front end. Not the hub bearing it was the carrier bearing. Just my 2 cents.

dlevi2121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well I riped the front rear end out and the transfer out. I think the problem is in the front rear end so as long as the rolled merc I have has the same ratio I am going to swap them out if not I will just change them both lol I cant win for losing sometimes lol

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
I doubt it would be the constantly-engaged transfer case, and would open up the pumpkin/front differential and see what's going on in there.
I would open up the pumpkin/front differential and see what's going on in there.

Are the U-joints and everything good everywhere?
The CV joints have u-joints in them. The part that rotates, inside the plastic boot, IS a universal join that allows both halves of the axle to spin at different angles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_joint

It makes this noise going straight down the road but when you turn left or right it is a lot worse. I replaced the axles and it still does it. Like I said she noise sounds like a splined shaft jumping over the teeth. This explorer does not have u joints in the front end just cv shafts. I checked the u joints in the front axle and they are fine. I have removed the front drive shaft and I have no noise now can the transfer case still be bad only running the rear end? This is all wheel drive all the time it's the 5.0 I can not turn it on or off or change from to high or low in it.
If it stoped making that sound when you pulled the front shaft its not the hub bearings. More than likely it is in the front gear set. My wifes did the same thing and it was a bad barring in the front end. Not the hub bearing it was the carrier bearing. Just my 2 cents.
Did you check the gears yet?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I'm having a hard time understanding the sequence of what went on. It sounds like you had a noise and replaced the front differential (I think this is what front rear end means), right? Now there's a "jumping over teeth" sound? If you replaced the differential, did you get the same gear ratio? I had a wrecking yard give me a 4.10 instead of a 3.73 on my brothers '01 Explorer, and it made similar sounds.

His problem was the viscous coupling in the transfer case. If this coupling goes bad, it will burn the hell out of the front diff, left and right. Believe me, I know after 4 front diff swaps. It was making the diff fluid boil over and out the breather tube.....and it STINKS!!!

dlevi2121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have not replaced anything yet just taking stuff apart trying to find the problem I can not see anything wrong with the front diff I have a buddy of mine tearing the transfer apart right now to see if he can see anything wrong with it?

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
How did your driveshaft splines look?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals