• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Crate engine in 1998 Ranger

stallion83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I recently bought a 98 ranger but there were some misfiring issues and it fried the engine apparently. I'm debating just getting rid of it but was wondering how difficult it would be to install a 302 crate engine with a c6 transmission.

I have a mechanic friend who would just charge me $1000 for labor but I need to get all the parts

The engine i'm looking at looks like it needs some extras on top to complete it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-302-320-HP-HIGH-PERFORMANCE-BALANCED-CRATE-ENGINE-MUSTANG-TRUCK/173029390428?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=1&asc=49564&meid=e8d67d764fbe49dbaf7427fbd270d54e&pid=100011&rk=1&rkt=12&sd=202098699530&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

I believe that is a carb application but I believe they told me they can sell me one for Fuel Injection but he warned me getting all the other engine parts could be costly.

Does anyone else know what I would need to complete this project parts wise, I appreciate any and all help as i'm not mechanically inclined. I originally wanted to install a raptor kit on the 98 ranger but may have to give up on it due to the engine dying out. It's between doing this project or looking at a colorado zr2 or wait for the new ranger raptor to come out.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

IMO..........probably not the best approach

Find an Explorer with 5.0l, rusted out or wrecked
Rebuild that engine like you want.
Then you have the EFI and computer to run it, along with engine wiring harness and other bits and pieces needed for the swap.
You will most likely need the computer tuned for more power, depending on what you do with the engine, and programmer can delete stock automatic trans from computer, and PATS as well if you want.
Then you can run the C6 without CEL on all the time.

Good page to bookmark here: http://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/

Look in Engine section, quite a few articles about V8 swaps

stallion83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to TRS :)

IMO..........probably not the best approach

Find an Explorer with 5.0l, rusted out or wrecked
Rebuild that engine like you want.
Then you have the EFI and computer to run it, along with engine wiring harness and other bits and pieces needed for the swap.
You will most likely need the computer tuned for more power, depending on what you do with the engine, and programmer can delete stock automatic trans from computer, and PATS as well if you want.
Then you can run the C6 without CEL on all the time.

Good page to bookmark here: http://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/

Look in Engine section, quite a few articles about V8 swaps
Thank you! is it possible to get 300hp out of an explorer 5.0?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, it's a regular 302/5.0l engine.

Look at Hotrod or Mustang sites, the 302 has been around ALOT of years and there are pages full of info to get you where you want to be.
It is a popular engine to add horse power and torque to, and not all that expensive if you just want to get to 300hp

But you also need rear axle that can handle it and frame, it is after all a Ranger built for max. 200hp(4.0l SOHC)

stallion83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, it's a regular 302/5.0l engine.

Look at Hotrod or Mustang sites, the 302 has been around ALOT of years and there are pages full of info to get you where you want to be.
It is a popular engine to add horse power and torque to, and not all that expensive if you just want to get to 300hp

But you also need rear axle that can handle it and frame, it is after all a Ranger built for max. 200hp(4.0l SOHC)
Awesome I think I read something about adding Roller cams can get it to 300hp and good advice on the the rear axle suggestion.

I think I found a good candidate for a 97 Explorer.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, basically you can get close to or past 300hp with cam changes
1997 Explorer 5.0l had the GT40 heads, and NO PATS(passive anti-theft system) in computer

stallion83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, basically you can get close to or past 300hp with cam changes
1997 Explorer 5.0l had the GT40 heads, and NO PATS(passive anti-theft system) in computer
so I contacted this place

http://www.compcams.com/tech-help/Support.aspx

and the rep on the phone suggested I find a computer tuning ECU and then to get an extreme energy Hydraulic Roller Cam EFI

would this help with power?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well you are not really in the place for building 302s(5.0l V8s), Rangers never had these engines, and people that swap V8s into Rangers are generally happy with stock HP in their Ranger.

We can give you opinions, of course, lol.

Hotrod forums or Ford mustang forums or similar sites might be a better place to get "been there done that" info for 302 add-ons, they have been building 302s for many many years.

Roller cams reduce friction so leave more power on the crank, larger cams allow more air to come in so more fuel can be used, and the more fuel you can burn at 14.7:1 ratio the more power you can release.

If you add more fuel to an engine all you get is a Flooded engine
If you add more AIR then, and only then, can you add more fuel
So its all about getting as much air as possible into that engine

A 4.0l engine has more power than a 3.0l engine because it can pull in 1 MORE LITER of air.
But if you put a super or turbo charger on the 3.0l it can then get STUFFED with 1 more liter of air.

So to "build" an engine you want less friction and MORE AIR, more air being the big deal
Balancing is less crank friction
Porting is less air friction

Last edited:

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You will never get 300 Hp out of a 302 with a cam swap. A cam swap will defiantly help it BUT..you will have to have it tuned.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I couldn't help throwing in my vote for the Comp Cams xe-264-hr cam. I am very happy with it after 150,000 miles of driving. Great low end power, jumps right off 1500 rpms in fifth gear without any stumbling. Really starts to come on Strong at 3000 rpms.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals