• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Problem with new head

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
Hi all so i purchased a new ranger head 91 and i was getting ready to put it on and i realized the ports are differemt on the intake manifold? is there anyway i can still use it?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
do you have the gaskets for the intake, exhaust, and head to compare them with the ports?

If they line up you can probably use it without any problems. If you're not sure take pics of the gaskets sitting where they should go and post them...no other way to give that kind of advice without checking the original gasket set to the new head.

That's how I do it...others might have better suggestions..

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Mark's method is how I would do it too.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
do you have the gaskets for the intake, exhaust, and head to compare them with the ports?

If they line up you can probably use it without any problems. If you're not sure take pics of the gaskets sitting where they should go and post them...no other way to give that kind of advice without checking the original gasket set to the new head.

That's how I do it...others might have better suggestions..
Its not letting me post it on here for some reason the gaskets dont line up when i bought it it was for 1991 ranger 2.3 idk why the ports are different im not familiar with this engine i just bought it a few weeks ago.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Can you try to send me a PM with the images attached to that or is it telling you the images are too large?

Only other thing I could suggest is that if the gaskets are not lining up you either have the wrong head or the wrong gaskets and you might contact the people who sold you the head and/or gaskets to get them to confirm...if not a store then you may need to find another head if they won't take it back or exhange for the proper head/gaskets.

There are at least 3 different Ford 2.3 engines and they are not anywhere close to each other...the Ranger version up to 1997, the Tempo version that was transverse mounted, and the newer duratech version in later model Rangers...you may have gotten parts mixed up...

Did you try flipping the gaskets over and around? They will not be symmetrical both ways and the first time I did a head I was confused about how they lined up.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Mark, you're throwing too many unrelated 2.3L's to the mix... there's that many different intake port setups just for the 2.3L Lima engine alone... There's Oval, D and the dual plug just on the Lima 2.3/2.5. The exhaust ports are the same on all Lima engines.

First off, the gasket sets don't really match the ports, the gasket ports are almost always about 1/4" bigger than the head or the intake on the gaskets I've used, check that the bolt pattern for the intake matches the pattern on the head and the intake manifold, that is going to be your main telltale as the bolt pattern on the different intake patterns are all different. Also, the gasket ports tend to be slightly differently shaped than the head or the intake.

If the gasket doesn't match the head or matches one and not the other, you have a wrong part, if there's no spark plug holes that's a dead giveaway as a '91 will have 8 spark plugs... If the original didn't have 8 spark plugs then someone has been into that thing before...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Mark, you're throwing too many unrelated 2.3L's to the mix... there's that many different intake port setups just for the 2.3L Lima engine alone... There's Oval, D and the dual plug just on the Lima 2.3/2.5. The exhaust ports are the same on all Lima engines.
Yes, true and I didn't want to confuse the issue with too much information...but short of seeing what he has including the gaskets we can only speculate and try to offer reasons why it might be a 2.3 head but not necessarily the one he needs.

Which a pic would clarify faster than a thousand words...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14

First off, the gasket sets don't really match the ports, the gasket ports are almost always about 1/4" bigger than the head or the intake on the gaskets I've used, check that the bolt pattern for the intake matches the pattern on the head and the intake manifold, that is going to be your main telltale as the bolt pattern on the different intake patterns are all different. Also, the gasket ports tend to be slightly differently shaped than the head or the intake.

If the gasket doesn't match the head or matches one and not the other, you have a wrong part, if there's no spark plug holes that's a dead giveaway as a '91 will have 8 spark plugs... If the original didn't have 8 spark plugs then someone has been into that thing before...
So not realizing the head has only 4 spark plugs defiantly cant use that and is wrong part the guy sold me a wrong head off ebay luckily i purchased a used one along with it and that one fits and has 8 plugs i dropped if off and having it cleaned and mag for 80$ will have it back monday so i can finally get this done, thanks for all your help.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
A four plug head will work, but you may get complaints from the emissions system. You'd just install and use the exhaust side coil pack, and I guess, unplug the driver side coil pack. The drivers side plugs are not used 100% of the time, as an emissions helping device (expensive way to go..., but I'm not an engineer), similar to the Nissan NAPS-Z engine configuration. Of course, the intake port shape and size have to be considered.
tom

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
My Ranger is running on just the exhaust coil with DIS and it does work fine, but the main issue is his intake manifold doesn't bolt up... Of all the intake changes on the 2.3L Lima all had a different bolt pattern...

Glad it is on it's way to being sorted out, if you did have the mating intake manifold I could walk you through getting it working, but will save that for now as I've typed it before...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
My Ranger is running on just the exhaust coil with DIS and it does work fine, but the main issue is his intake manifold doesn't bolt up... Of all the intake changes on the 2.3L Lima all had a different bolt pattern...

Glad it is on it's way to being sorted out, if you did have the mating intake manifold I could walk you through getting it working, but will save that for now as I've typed it before...
Thanks! Im still intimitaded buy all the parts thats are off i really need a 91 2.3 ranger engine picture to really help i have the book which i know how to put most of it on but im the "nervous" type that i always triple check stuff.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Have you checked the on-line manual? They usually have those blow out diagrams that show where bolts and parts go.

If that doesn't work for you there are thousands of images on the internet...and many YouTube videos...

There may even be a few members with extensive documentation of a head swap that you can look up.

Searching this site might get you all you need...if not post up requests and you will be surprised at how many people respond...do it in the General section to get a better response...

EDIT:

I just checked and there are diagrams and even instructions to follow (on different pages) that you can download and print out for reference. If you don't have a printer at home go to a Library and they charge 10 cents a copy..make dupes or triplicates of them because your hands will get dirty..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
Have you checked the on-line manual? They usually have those blow out diagrams that show where bolts and parts go.

If that doesn't work for you there are thousands of images on the internet...and many YouTube videos...

There may even be a few members with extensive documentation of a head swap that you can look up.

Searching this site might get you all you need...if not post up requests and you will be surprised at how many people respond...do it in the General section to get a better response...

EDIT:

I just checked and there are diagrams and even instructions to follow (on different pages) that you can download and print out for reference. If you don't have a printer at home go to a Library and they charge 10 cents a copy..make dupes or triplicates of them because your hands will get dirty..
I received word today that the other cylinder head is cracked seems i cant get a break no where. I wonder if i can use 4 plug design

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14

Im going to check today to see if i can gget it to line up hopefully i can i just want to drivd my truck i bought for weekeneds already. The guy called ans told me the 8plug i got is cracked right at the exhaust side and its unrepairable.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Im going to check today to see if i can gget it to line up hopefully i can i just want to drivd my truck i bought for weekeneds already. The guy called ans told me the 8plug i got is cracked right at the exhaust side and its unrepairable.
Depending on where you bought it, they might exchange it or give you a credit...always a good idea to check return policy.

Are you aware that these engines were also in the Mustangs? The 91-93 mustang 2.3 had the 8 plugs...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals