• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing the clutch kit, how hard it is?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello everyone, my 1995 Ford Ranger XL 2.3l is having issues with the throw out bearing, it grinds when the clutch pedal is pressed, I got a quote from a local garage to have it fixed but it is out of my budget right now, I'm starting a business and cash is short at best, lol. I'm mechanically inclined and have a basic set of tools, I have done things on this truck before, like replacing the timing belt, replacing the fuel pump; on a old series 2 land rover I replaced the head gasket, and have done top engine rebuilds on motorcycles; I wanted to know how hard and how much expertise is needed to replace the clutch kit on the truck and if I would be able to do it with basic tools, I don't have a lift so I would rely on jack stands, is it possible to do it that way? Do you think is a good idea for a rookie to give it a try, or is it a terrible idea?.

Cheers.

Enviado desde mi PRA-LX2 mediante Tapatalk

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Based on the list of things you've done in the past, this is certainly something you can handle. You'll need plenty of time and a spare vehicle so that you're not rushing to turn it around in a day. Definitely get a complete clutch kit and consider replacing the rear main, slave cylinder, etc while you're in there.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Based on the list of things you've done in the past, this is certainly something you can handle. You'll need plenty of time and a spare vehicle so that you're not rushing to turn it around in a day. Definitely get a complete clutch kit and consider replacing the rear main, slave cylinder, etc while you're in there.
Thanks for the answer, I can live a week or two with just my motorcycle, I will take 2 weeks vacation next week so it is the perfect time to do it.

danielwd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I changed mine out on a 1994 2.3L some years ago. You have a much higher skill set than I do, given your past track record of work.

I failed to change out the rear seal, which I believe is now leaking.

I found that having the transmission attachment to my hydraulic jack was very beneficial because there was no one there to help me get the transmission down and up.

I seem to remember having to go through a wheel well to get to a difficult to reach bolt on the transmission. I'm not sure if I had to, but it made it easier. It was on the passenger side.

I also had a very big issue once I had everything back installed. The gears in my transmission were misaligned or something because (if I remember all the details right) when I was in 1st gear, I would go in reverse, and I could not access all my gears.

I think I accidentally messed something up when I had my transmission off that made it stuck.

I shoved a huge screwdriver down there and just kept jerking it around until something became unstuck. I still have no idea what I did, but it worked.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Don't just consider changing the slave while you are there. Actually do it.

The internal concentric slaves have a tendency to fail after being disturbed if they are old. If you don't do it now you will likely be pulling your transmission again within the month.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Get yourself a 13mm ratchet wrench and it will be your friend taking the clutch out... seriously I think all bellhousing bolts are obtainable from underneath with that wrench...

Just for something stupid to try, it might fix your problem for free... put the clutch pedal to the floor and slip your foot off the pedal, do that 3 times and see if it shifts better... if it does you had air in your master cylinder which is sounds like your problem...

I've changed my clutch like 4 times, the first two were without anything special, I used a ratchet strap over the frame rails under the transmission to hold it up and work it down (the transmission only weighs like 50lb, I've muscled it up alone before by hand... I was younger then...). I agree on the slave, not a bad idea as it is not likely a throw out bearing issue, it's a hydraulic issue, grinding means it isn't disengaging which means not enough throw not the grumbling that a throw out bearing would make...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Get yourself a 13mm ratchet wrench and it will be your friend taking the clutch out... seriously I think all bellhousing bolts are obtainable from underneath with that wrench...

Just for something stupid to try, it might fix your problem for free... put the clutch pedal to the floor and slip your foot off the pedal, do that 3 times and see if it shifts better... if it does you had air in your master cylinder which is sounds like your problem...

I've changed my clutch like 4 times, the first two were without anything special, I used a ratchet strap over the frame rails under the transmission to hold it up and work it down (the transmission only weighs like 50lb, I've muscled it up alone before by hand... I was younger then...). I agree on the slave, not a bad idea as it is not likely a throw out bearing issue, it's a hydraulic issue, grinding means it isn't disengaging which means not enough throw not the grumbling that a throw out bearing would make...
Will definitely try that!, I will bleed it and see what happens.

Cheers.

DanInVA

Reaction score
It hasn't been mentioned yet, but if I were you, I would definitely replace the pilot bearing if you are going to tackle this. I have had a pilot bearing go bad before, it can cause a grinding noise when you press the clutch. The input shaft of the trans is turning the same speed as the flywheel without the clutch, but when you press the clutch in, the flywheel continues turning and the input shaft speed changes. If the pilot bearing is bad, it can make a gnarly grinding noise as the input shaft is unable to spin freely relative to the flywheel.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It hasn't been mentioned yet, but if I were you, I would definitely replace the pilot bearing if you are going to tackle this. I have had a pilot bearing go bad before, it can cause a grinding noise when you press the clutch. The input shaft of the trans is turning the same speed as the flywheel without the clutch, but when you press the clutch in, the flywheel continues turning and the input shaft speed changes. If the pilot bearing is bad, it can make a gnarly grinding noise as the input shaft is unable to spin freely relative to the flywheel.

That was exactly the issue, the throw out bearing was fine, but the pilot bearing was in million pieces, it was a pain in the bottom to take it off.

DanInVA

Reaction score
That was exactly the issue, the throw out bearing was fine, but the pilot bearing was in million pieces, it was a pain in the bottom to take it off.

They are definitely a pain to deal with, I feel your pain there. On the input shaft of the trans, is the very end of it that rides on the pilot bearing still nice and smooth? They cam get marred up by the pilot bearing when it comes apart.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals