• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3l carbureted engine questions

craveman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008, 1981
Make / Model
ford, AMC
Engine Size
2.3l, 2.5
Transmission
Manual
So I have a Jeep cj8 that originally came with a Pontiac 151 iron Duke engine. The engine is bad so I've been thinking about period correct conversions that should be relatively easy and have available parts also no v8s. I've had 2 95 2.3 rangers so that's got me on a 2.3 bug. I want to go with a carb engine because it will look right in the Jeep. I may do some mods to the engine. Definitely intake, carb, and exhaust. Not sure about internals yet. I can't seem to find any older carbed 2.3s in my area. Can the 90s rangers be converted to a carb and distributor setup? What should I look for in an intake/ carb? I'm thinking I'll probably use the 90s ranger header. I'm also contemplating a cam. The Jeep will be around 3100 lbs have 3.73s, a 4 speed, and either 30 or 31" tires. Oh last question. Is there a bellhousing for the 2.3 that bolts to truck transmissions? The transmission I'd like to use came from the factory in cjs and will actually accept a Ford bellhousing with a special pilot bushing.

mavereq

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The carb intakes are for a d port head. You’d want to run a 94 or older block to use a distributor. If you run a single plug head, you can find a carb intake pretty easily.

craveman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008, 1981
Make / Model
ford, AMC
Engine Size
2.3l, 2.5
Transmission
Manual
What years were the single plug heads in rangers? Isn't there a marine version of the 2.3 too? Would any of those parts work?

Plum Ranger XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What years were the single plug heads in rangers? Isn't there a marine version of the 2.3 too? Would any of those parts work?
1983 through 1988 is when the Ranger 2.3L had the 4 plug head. I'm not aware if there was a marine 2.3L but I am sure someone out there will know if there was one.

Last edited:

craveman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008, 1981
Make / Model
ford, AMC
Engine Size
2.3l, 2.5
Transmission
Manual
Could the carbed intake be port matched to work with the round ports?

Plum Ranger XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You can if you have no other option but to do that. Take your time if you do it yourself unless you take somewhere and have it done.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
From what I recall, I've never seen round intake ports. This must be an older head because the ones I worked on were 87 and later (Mustang and Ranger 4 plug).

The D or Oval port intake openings would need to be filled in to match them or were you just concerned about matching the bottom line so the fuel wouldn't pool there?

At one point I put the 1978 Mustang II intake on a later head and didn't have any problems with fuel pooling. The 78 was oval port and my head was D port...someone told me about the potential problem but didn't notice anything obviously wrong with performance of fuel consumption.

Last edited:

craveman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008, 1981
Make / Model
ford, AMC
Engine Size
2.3l, 2.5
Transmission
Manual
I meant opening up d ports to match the oval ones

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
What I read was the d head was better than the oval port,Some people fill in the bottom of the oval to make it a d head. I read something about velocity is better.2.3 omc cobra in board out drive is same motor and parts will work.

craveman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008, 1981
Make / Model
ford, AMC
Engine Size
2.3l, 2.5
Transmission
Manual
So is there any particular d Port head that is better than the others? Like maybe the mustang heads over the ranger ones? Picked up a 92 ranger 2.3 that im going to have the local machine shop rebuild the bottom end on. Might go with forged pistons just in case I turbo it someday. But that would depend on fitment in my Jeep. Any cam recommendations for 4x4 applications? I won't be going too high in compression and probably won't rev it as high as my 2.3 in my 08 ranger. That sees the Rev limiter a few times a month.

craveman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008, 1981
Make / Model
ford, AMC
Engine Size
2.3l, 2.5
Transmission
Manual
Oh I also got an omc 2.3 intake for free so I'll be using that. I wonder if that head would be worth going back for?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals