• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer powering steering fluid cooler?

markinms

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31 X 10.5 X 15
My credo
Duty, Honor, Country
A friend just gave me all the brackets, pulleys, accessories, etc from a 98 Explorer. One of the items was a power steering fluid cooler (not usable).

The PS pump is different than what I'm used to. Does this type of pump require a fluid cooler or is it just optional?

Thanks.

Mark

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
A friend just gave me all the brackets, pulleys, accessories, etc from a 98 Explorer. One of the items was a power steering fluid cooler (not usable).

The PS pump is different than what I'm used to. Does this type of pump require a fluid cooler or is it just optional?

Thanks.

Mark
Yes the explorers had power steering coolers bolted to the rack&pinion assembly, same as a ranger, so it fits directly when swapping an expo 5.0 into a 98+ ranger.

In your case if you are installing a 5.0 into your 87 bronco with a steeringbox then you would have to make a custom mounted cooler work.

You might could get away without one, but all the ford small truck pumps I've ever had don't seem to take much use without whining like crazy, they seem very sensitive to fluid level and/or heat. So I would personally run one.

The explorers with the towing package have a super nice bar/plate trans cooler that is mounted behind the grille and uses the same size line size/nipples as the power steering pumps return hose, I've used them for steering coolers on other builds and they work great. (I like them because they are like $5 at my local junkyard and there are always a dozen or more explorers there.)

markinms

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31 X 10.5 X 15
My credo
Duty, Honor, Country
Thanks for letting me know.

Called around today and found where I can get one. Road trip!

Mark

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals