• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 347/c4 build -project- rebel rouser

prymetime1

Reaction score
+1 on the BBQ paint it flat but f it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My pops needs to do his headers on the cobra, I'll tell him to use it and see how it goes. I'm wrapping mine so I don't have to look at them turning all shitty again.

prymetime1

Reaction score
I got my exhaust fitted on the truck much better this time around. It's tucked up nicely and exits right in front of the rear tires. After that I'm I sorted out some switches for my fan and got my dash back together.
I filled the radiator and primed the oil pump and then gave it a go. My pops gave me a hand making sure nothing was leaking and keeping an eye on ish under the hood. I fired it up and it kicked over ok. It took a few trys but after getting the timing light on it, got my base timing set to 12* and got it a nice idle at 800 rpm. From there l, I set total timing to 30* to keep it on the conservative side. Let it get to temp and all looked good. I took it out for a quick ride and all is well and good system wise. My speedo still not Registering speed :/
When I got it back, I noticed a drip out of my passenger side head bolt. Same problem I had originally. Called my engine guy and told him the issue, he came over tonight n we pulled the stud and noticed there was no sealant on it. Gubbered it up with the permatex and really torqued it down. Hoping it's all set this time around.
On the plus side, the engine starts now with ease, and purrs nice now.
Wil update with some pics soon.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
Pics of that sweet new exhaust [emoji1363][emoji482]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prymetime1

Reaction score
So update since it's been a bit.....the engine runs great, starts better than ever before and generally sounds badass, got it timed correctly and my rebuilt carb seems to have helped. ...if it were not for this one leaking head stud I'd be doing back flips about it.....the builder came by and checked it out, said he would get it sorted out this week, for me to drop the truck off tomorrow for him to fix it.....that being said, my test drives since putting it all back together have been short, about 5 miles of around my block....and each time I've felt like the trans was slipping....I checked the fluid and it was a little low. I added some, about half a court is all it needed. I haven't driven it since...so today I go to see how it performs and it ends with me walking home. [emoji35] [emoji107]
I still got reverse but that's it. Flat bedded it home about n hour ago and now researching shit. Since the trans has been rebuilt twice due to it failing after less than 200 miles from the same shop I am considering giving it ago myself. I'm going to call the dude since it really doesn't have many miles on it since the 2nd rebuild and see what he'll do. My thoughts now are that he's not guna do much....so now that I have my exhaust done much more presentable, my gauges n fans working like they should...I still can't drive it....if I can't get the engine sealed right or the trans working I'm thinking to throw the towel in and go balls out on brand new built race worthy stuff. Well see how it all pans out but summers just about over and this things been down for longer than its been running so frustration has set in...rant over[emoji36]

prymetime1

Reaction score
I made a lil progress in the past couple of weeks. Transmission is out n back at the shop. Ordered a Performance Automatic valve body for it. Should be here this week. It's getting whatever it needs this time to hold up. Dude is doing it for just parts so that was cool on him. I'm also going to install my lokar kick down cable. From some of what I read it's necessary for keeping pressure regulated thru the throttle. I've always manually shifted it from 1 ,2 ,3 but maybe that is causing problems. I'm also going to run the hard trans lines to the cooler, or at least half way instead of full rubber.
I also got around to grabbing my aluminum drive shafts from my parents. I took some measurements and did some more reading. It should from the looks of things bolt up to the 7.5 rear. I forget what year ranger it came out of now but I read that the 7.5 & 8.8s have the same flange in the mid 90s so glad to see that will work for when I swap in the 8.8 next spring.
Here are some comparison pics.

prymetime1

Reaction score
No real update, still waiting on the transmission as it's been at the shop 3 weeks now.

I did come across a 94 explorer being parted out so I got in touch with the dude and should be getting the seats n console from it for $40 bucks. Thought that was a good deal. I may also get the rear end. I know it's not disk brakes but still an upgrade over the 7.5 rear current since it should be lsd & 31 spline axles. Could always do a brake upgrade down the road. As long as the the junk yard will tow it out with no rear, it's going home with me for 100 bucks.

I'll update as I get ish together.

prymetime1

Reaction score
Picked up my trans today. Ended up needing a new fwd clutch drum, clutches, and fwd planatary gear.

Don't have time to get it in this weekend but hope to get it in by next weekend.

See pics of planatary carnage. I think this is what the chatter was coming from under the truck on acceleration.

@atx, u ever see shit like this at the shop?

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
Picked up my trans today. Ended up needing a new fwd clutch drum, clutches, and fwd planatary gear.

Don't have time to get it in this weekend but hope to get it in by next weekend.

See pics of planatary carnage. I think this is what the chatter was coming from under the truck on acceleration.

@atx, u ever see shit like this at the shop?

To much torque . They sell a 6 planetary gear for your c4 . That double the gears since yours is a 3 . It's worth it and should never break

Sent from my iphone while gettin sidewayz!!!

prymetime1

Reaction score
To much torque . They sell a 6 planetary gear for your c4 . That double the gears since yours is a 3 . It's worth it and should never break

Sent from my iphone while gettin sidewayz!!!
Broskie, thanks for the heads up on that. I guess when this one eats it, I'll have to splurge for a fully built tranny. I'm loosing faith on this guy's ability to rebuild this thing to hold up. I was looking at performance automatic c4's, read good things about them. Hoping to have it back together next weekend.

prymetime1

Reaction score
Well it's back up and running, shifting n driving. I'm having an issue with the idle and may move go a new carb if I can't get it settled in correctly..
I still have a bunch of stuff to do but for now I'm happy to have it off the Jack stands and movable in the driveway. I'll see if I can get some new pics N vids as I get the engine broken in.

prymetime1

Reaction score
Picked up some seats out a 94 explorer. Just need to get them cleaned up.

Still chopping away at it.

prymetime1

Reaction score
I've been working on getting the truck dialed in. Idles fine now, I blew out the idle circuit and that seemed to do the trick.. I got it out for a 15 mile ride and everything seemed really good. Temp is good, fan kicks on and off from the sensor, trans temp staying low. Oil pressure is good while driving but drops under hot idle. Brought it to 4k rpm and it was feeling strong.

Also I scrubbed the seat and it came out good but a quick trip for some cheap black covers and I think I'm set for when I swap carpet n seats.

prymetime1

Reaction score
It's been a while but I'm still collecting parts and waiting for the weather to improve so I can start my next projects.

No pics but the truck is being kept cool by a foot of snow from last week.

I picked up a new black carpet, new black door sills to make for a clean install, some new billet alum window cranks and a set of led interior lights for under seat glow to add to my already set up red leds behind the subs. I'm looking fwd to getting the interior all set with the explorer buckets.

I also picked up a new thermostat housing and upper radiator hose for a Foxbody mustang. The housing has the provision for my fan temp switch so I might be able to use that and clean up the front of the engine bay alil

I'm about to pull the trigger on a cowl hood in a week or so and in the midst of finding an 8.8 rear locally.

My plans are to get it running right this year. It's going back to the engine builder to get that leaking headstud figured out and then to the trans shop to get the thing line tested. From there I'm just trying to enjoy it for a while.

From there I'm planning to gather every thing I need to get my suspension ready for next year. Complete rebuild and rear end swap.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

prymetime1

Reaction score
Update time....its been a minute...its crazy how priorities change with kids in the picture. With that said, I was having some drivability issues with the rebuilt set up...I ended up biting the bullet for a new carb. I went with the newer edelbrock avs 2 650 cfm, electric choke carburetor. Since adding that, the drivability has been much better. I've been able to put a couple hundred miles on it since the rebuild. It's about time to change the oil.

Next up, I finally got the chance to pull the 60/40 bench in favor for the explorer buckets. I added the new black carpet and door sills. I also moved the shifter back a few inches. It made for a nice upgrade to the truck.

Next on the list to do is fix my gauges, my speedo needs to be addressed and I need to redo my oil pressure line, my copper one must have kink in it as my pressure was fluctuating. I ran a new gauge and nylon line and its showing a higher more consistent oil pressure.
I also need to check my roller rockers, my pops says he hears some tapping. And finally I need to add a few more degrees of timing. Its sitting at 28° all in so I'm going to bump that up to around 32°and see how it likes it. It feels good but I think I can bring it up and still be safe.

So far Its definitely has been a fun conversation piece at a few cruise nights and shows I've attended with my pops. I hope to get it down the track at some point this year too for some redemption passes.

Till next time, be well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals