• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B4000 5.0 swap

Jklancaster12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey new to the Ranger Station trying to find the differences in using an f150 donor as apposed to the explorer I have a 94 f150 I was planning on using for the swap into my 98 Mazda b4000 2wd don't care to have obd2 but I want to keep a from the best I could tell I would only need explorer manifolds and front dress everything else is the same except intake can I run the truck intake with a a cowl hood and any tips as far as the process read alot of other posts but not sure exactly how to navigate the site just trying to get as much info as possible before I start I'm trying to get it back on the road as quick as possible so that being said I want to get the 5.0 complete and ready to bolt in before I pull the 4.0 so all the small thing's greatly appreciated thanks for the advise in advance

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, in your particular case a 94 is going to require buying a lot of extra parts, swapping stuff, messing with things, splicing wires, things that take time, while an Explorer 5.0, with trans, harness, and computer is going to be almost plug and play.

Jklancaster12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah that's what I've come to find so I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to the f150 5.0 to get it as close to plug and play my plan is to swap the front accessories exhaust manifold get the motor mounts not sure of the fans assuming I need electric fans think the water pump has to be changed want to run the truck intake even if a new hood is required and want to try and get the harness ready to go it's 2wd so not sure if that makes it any easier but I'm hoping everything off the front of the explorer will fit the f150 and work with the harness like alternator and a I'm sure it can be made to work but my biggest concern is the wiring can't find a lot on installing the harness like do I use the f150 or ranger fuse box what stays from the ranger and what is removed and what is added from the f150 and what is removed does the electrical for the gauges stay ranger and splice in from f150 or is the harness similar want to do the build under the hood of the f150 the transplant to the Mazda

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hey new to the Ranger Station trying to find the differences in using an f150 donor as apposed to the explorer I have a 94 f150 I was planning on using for the swap into my 98 Mazda b4000 2wd don't care to have obd2 but I want to keep a from the best I could tell I would only need explorer manifolds and front dress everything else is the same except intake can I run the truck intake with a a cowl hood and any tips as far as the process read alot of other posts but not sure exactly how to navigate the site just trying to get as much info as possible before I start I'm trying to get it back on the road as quick as possible so that being said I want to get the 5.0 complete and ready to bolt in before I pull the 4.0 so all the small thing's greatly appreciated thanks for the advise in advance
I understand you have the 94 f150 already. but it just doesn't make financial sense at all, and the explorer 5.0 is by far the best revision/version of the 5.0 ford ever made. The intake, the heads, DIS igniton. Like adsm08 states it is literally almost plug and play.

Honestly I'm sure you love the f150 and sure it has a 302 block which are interchangable, but thats about the only thing you will use. Just put the f150 on craigslist up for trade for a 5.0 explorer and there's a good chance you will get some calls. I'm not sure about your area but here in central va explorers are essentially free, you can buy running 5.0 expos for way under $1000 and if you get the whole truck you just move everything over and bolt it all into your 98 and then just go drive it. It's an easy weekend job and no headaches.

Not trying to be negative, just saying it's a bolt in swap, and unless your building up a custom engine and bay (which it doesn't sound like you looking to do) then it just doesn't make sense for all the additional time and money using the f150 will take, and not be as good of a motor in the end anyway. It's cheaper in the long run to just get an explorer to do it with because you have a 98-00 model which is identical to an explorer.

Jklancaster12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok thanks for the info think that what I'm going to do just figured I'd use burt the f150 beat up red truck because I've had it for a while but I will look for the Explorer but the only thing is here in alabama a descent explorer is kind of a hard find for descent money but if I find one with a bad motor could the f150 block be used know it's obd1 and the Explorer is obd 2 but it sounds completely worth waiting on a better donor

Jklancaster12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok 1 more thing I read 96 to 97 explorer is the best donor to find due to pats found a 97 a lot more than I want to pay but It has to be a good motor so I'm willing to pay the difference but the Explorer is 4x4 could it be used as 2wd or if the trucks are so similar how bolt on is a 4x4 swap I know there's probably a thread on this but I direct question usually gets a better answer will continue to locate and research

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
4x4 is not a "bolt on" conversion, frames are different up front, 4WD starts with the frame

Get a 4x4 Ranger then add the V8, or stick with 2WD

Jklancaster12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
See not really trying to go 4x4 might consider it later on down the road but right now just looking for the v8 could that 94 f150 Trans work on a 97 explorer 5.0if so I could hold on to the Explorer until I got ready for a 4x4 conversion sorry for all the questions besides an old hot rod dodge dart not a lot of experience with 4 wheels do all my own mechanic work but never been big in 4x4s but I build bikes so something that involves cutting and welding is not far beyond realm of possibilities but like I said right now just a v8 but I don't plan on ever getting rid of the truck

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Although they did make 2wd 5.0 expos, they are very few and far between. Everyone I've ever seen in person (and our local junkyard always has 5-10 new 5.0 expos in the field everytime I go) have all always been AWD.

But it doesn't matter, the motors are the same, just buy an AWD version and you can install it in 2wd configuration. If you want to go manual you can use a f150 manual transmission.

You can't really convert to 4x4 later, as the frames are completely different, you could swap a 4x4 frame onto your cab if you really really wanted to, but rangers are so cheap just sell your and buy a 4x4 to swap.

All the options and configurations of different year combos and different transmissions have been covered numerous times on this and other ranger forums, so there are many weeks worth of reading there that will help catch you up on the nuances of a v8 swap, to really get a grasp on what your true goal and budget will be, and prepare you for more specific questions once you've nailed down exactly what you plan to build.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If it came to it, and you had a manual t-case you could use a 4x4 trans in your 2wd truck, and gain the low range and neutral positions, you just don't get power to the front wheels.

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Or, go through the awd transmission and replace the output shaft and tail cone with rwd bits, or source a pre '98 rwd 4R70W and sell the awd bits.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals