• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 ohv to 4.0 sohc?

eric17mx

Is it much difference swapping in a motor and tranny from a 2000 explorer? Into a 93 ranger? Or is it even worth it? I can get tnhe motor and trans for 600.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Depends on how much work you wanna do.

The SOHC is EEC-V

the OHV is EEC-IV.

The SOHC from that vehicle is a returnless fuel system, while the OHV is return style.

The sensors are a different style connector, you can cut and splice, or just use the whole EEC-V setup.

eric17mx

Yea i think its worth just finding another ohv will a 95 and up ohv work with a 93? Like connection wise and everything? Thanks

4.0 power

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
not trying to highjack your thread here, dont want to get flamed for starting a new thread when this exists already, and its new....

i was thinking of doing this as well in my '93 next summer. My concern was the SOHC actually fitting in the engine bay with the TTB 4x4 front suspension, since the SOHC was introduced when the torsion bar/double wish bone front end was on the rangers. And even the possible fitment issues with the steering/exhaust headers. My whole thing was to get some more power, but i might just find a v-8 to put in it at this point.

please add your insights! Thanks!

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The SOHC fits like a glove in a TTB truck, the only issue I have run into is wth the heater box.

This is in a 90 though.

93 you might be ok??

4.0 power

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
son of a bitch that is a ton of work. I think i might stick with the V8 swap lol. looks like you got it under control though, hope all goes well and you get it running soon!

Spdrcer34

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
There is a guy on ExplorerForum that has a 4.0L SOHC in his 1st Gen Explorer. ON TOP OF THAT....the original 4.0L OHV ECU is controlling the SOHC motor!!!!

Ryan

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is a guy on ExplorerForum that has a 4.0L SOHC in his 1st Gen Explorer. ON TOP OF THAT....the original 4.0L OHV ECU is controlling the SOHC motor!!!!

Ryan
Thats what im working on right now, should have it running next week.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals