• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clicking Noise, No Start?

982WDRanger

07/2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L, Bored .030 over!
Transmission
Manual
So I finished up beefing my tract-bar mounts today, tightened down all my suspension components and was going to take her out on a trail to she how she goes since I just did my first SAS.

Got in and turned the key, nothing.....tried again....nothing. Had no lights, dash lights, check engine light, brake light, headlights...NOTHING! Turned key off opened my door and a relay or BCM started to click behind the dash until I shut the door or turned something on.? So I check under the hood, noticed my battery terminal that hooks to the post was split, replaced it, no help same issue. So I jumped it, fired right up like nothing, let it run for a few, shut it down, and fired right back up. Let it set again and nothing, same problem. But when it was running I did notice my oil pressure was way on the high side, like stupid high and if I gave it gas the voltmeter would go down?

So I went down and got a new battery cause mine is now 5yrs. old and my be part of it. Got new terminals, and picked up new leads to the starter if need be. Going to check/clean all my grounds to make sure I have good connections and see if it fixes it. I had this issue before and took a whole day to fix it, but I don't know what specifically fixed it first time. Did the same things as I am going to do again, but no clue on what caused it to do this.

Anyone else have an issue similar to this? Help?:icon_confused: Be back tomorrow:, hope it works, really frustrating!:flipoff:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
For me, almost every time the clicking happens it's a bad connection at the battery. I'm constantly swapping batteries so I never tighten the clamp.

Richard

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah that sounds like a bad connection. clean where the clamps connect to your battery, and clean where your wires connect to the clamps. If that doesn't work, check for a bad ground.

You can easily diagnose if your battery is the problem with a volt meter.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On my '94 4.0l a loose ground strap going from the back of the drivers side head to the firewall was loose, caused oil pressure to read higher also temp gauge but not as much.

All the metal on the truck is one big as wire, if a connection to that wire is loose funny stuff can happen, lol.

You really need a volt meter to test battery.
engine off 12.7volts is a good battery

12.4v is a battery going out

12.2v you are lucky to get it to start

Engine on 13.6v-14.5v at battery

under 13.5v means battery was below 12.5v or alternator is on its way out

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals