• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is 4 awg cable enough for a 9,000 lb winch?

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I am working on a dual battery setup for my 1986 b2 and I found an article that has a diagram and it uses an 80a solenoid and 4 awg wire. I am trying to determine if that is good enough for my setup or not. The Warn website says that my 9000 lb winch with a heavy load uses 400+ amps??? Am I reading it wrong? I was just gonna do what the diagram showed and buy a set of 4 awg jumper cables and cut the ends off. Any help?

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Go to your local welding supply, the cable is much more flexible, carries more current, and is much much cheaper.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
ok well an idea how to make a positive and negative post under the hood of my b2 if I move the battery to the rear? I was told the winch needs to be grounded to the battery and not to the frame someplace. I was wanting to make the terminals under the hood so that I can run my lights and winch to the terminal and not have to run them all the way to the rear of the truck to the battery.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Insulated stud
***google it.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
This is how I do them in the race cars. The cables aren't pictured in the under-dash pic, but you can see the two insulated studs they go to.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Go to your local welding supply, the cable is much more flexible, carries more current, and is much much cheaper.
This.

My Buddy does this for his stereo's all the time.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I am working on a dual battery setup for my 1986 b2 and I found an article that has a diagram and it uses an 80a solenoid and 4 awg wire. I am trying to determine if that is good enough for my setup or not. The Warn website says that my 9000 lb winch with a heavy load uses 400+ amps??? Am I reading it wrong? I was just gonna do what the diagram showed and buy a set of 4 awg jumper cables and cut the ends off. Any help?
4 ga is the minimum. 400 amps for damn sure when they get warm.

i use the fram for ground, but have 2 ga gd to bat as well.

if you go to a big welding supply shop they often have roll ends that will get you 2 ga for a great price.

advanced auto has a 2 ga clear cover for a good price by the foot as well. 2.20 last i bought...1.88 some years back. the welding cable is better though. i actually got a 22foot roll end for 25 bux last year.

already mentioned ...isolated posts are a good way to go for the battery relocation to simplify the starter/interior power circuits.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals