• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone here make rear windows removable?

dirtjockey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
I'm the proud owner of a new (to me) 1985 Bronco II, 2.8L and reading these posts and visiting the modifications page has me thinking of what I can do to her.

I've seen the posts about the chopped tops, but the thought of doing that and risking the water leakage, as well as what would happen if the soft top tore and couldn't be replaced is giving me doubts.

There was a post recently about a possible stock option for removable windows, but it never rolled off of the factory floor. Sealing two windows seems much easier than sealing an entire cargo area. Not to mention, if one were to break I could swap it out much easier.

So has anyone here done this with aftermarket parts?

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
The only way I can think it would work is to get hinges that lock down and window weather stripping and cut holes in the glass and bolt the hinges to the windows. But the chances of getting that accomplished without it breaking or leaking on the first try would be pretty slim I would imagine.

You could always go the bronco route and instead of chopping the top completely you could always make it a removable hard top. and then make a cloth top for when you have the hard top off and the weather changes.

necessaryevil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ive been kindda of thinking of just removing them and all of the old glue and just using the nuts to hold them in place, and getting some foam weatherstripping to keep it sealed, but this is just an idea

ChopTop84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Depends on the year of bronco. Some are just glued in, and some are bolted in. Also, drilling tempered glass is almost impossible if you have the glued in style and need new holes.

I would try the fullsize bronco option also. Cut below the glass so that the glass and top stay together. Then, weld a thin piece of sheetmetal across the gap of the bronco, and the gap of the top you just made. Make yourself some form of drip tray that you can weld across the top of the cab that your top can index into and let any stray water run to the sides, and then add a couple of bolts hole locations to clamp everything back together with a little weatherstripping.

Then, dont cut your hatch. Find a spare hatch and cut it, that way you can still have a tailgate when running topless, and your full hatch when running top on. (or do the ranger tailgate mod, but I think those look funky if you dont fill the void above the tail lights).

You dont need very thick metal for welding up the gap between the inner and outer sheetmetal. Go scarf a piece out of the side of a pickup truck bed or roof skin. I know it will feel weak and flimsy just laying there, but I assure you, as soon as its welded in, it will be as strong as the rest of the rig. So no need to go overkill with 1/8" plate or anything. The thin sheetmetal will also make it easier to keep the body lines pretty close and not have the new top sit too high.

Its very doable, just very time consuming, and I hope your good with a welder. You will be when your done!

aaronranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/90
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
my sisters boyfriend had a bronco 2 that the rear glass opened seperate from the hatch.i think it might have been a 84,its long gone now. i remember thinking back then that it was different from the other bronco 2 's.and it seems to me the two side windows opened also

Last edited:

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have too thought of making my side windows, if not removable, at least able to open. My mom owned an old E-350 CLUB WAGON. I can't help but think that one could steal the hinge and clasp set up from one of these and apply it to the B2. The cool thing about the "pop out" windows on these was that when you disconnected the clasp at the bottom and lifted window about 90 degrees, the window could be lifted right off the van. I want to do this mod oh soo bad, but I'd like some practice windows first...

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
What type of adhesive would hold to the stress I wonder...? Ultimatley, the latches would then be the only support the window would have... It could definatly work though. I want to try something real bad and soon. This topic is far from over! Thumbs up to the idea BlackBII

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
From what I have read, E-6000 and Hxtal would be the ones to use. RearView mirror glue could work, but it's UV glue and the glass needs to be transparent.

What I would do, is get some E-6000, and go to a junkyard. Bring some sandpaper and rough up the glass on a BII's side window and glue a peice of metal to it, the same as the type of latch you are going to use. Let it dry, then try to pull it off, to test the strength. That will let you know if it'll be strong enough to work. It wont take much to hold the window in, there isn't that much force pushing the window out, and it'll be resting in the sill anyway..you could even put a bolt or two back in the window for safe measure, until you know the glue holds strong.

http://www.hxtal.com/

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=gc0181

Last edited:

MoabB2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm debating this same thing with my BII. My rear side windows are leaking already, I want to open up the cab, lose some weight, but I don't want to chop the top.

I've been contemplating the clamp option for years now. Now I'm thinking of some type of soft window...Anybody tried this?

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Anybody tried making side windows out of lexan or plexi? Lighterweight and removable?

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Anybody tried making side windows out of lexan or plexi? Lighterweight and removable?

i think trying to match the curve at the top of the windows would make that difficult. if i was still in college, i'd try to make one with the 4x8 foot vacuum former we had.

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ive been kindda of thinking of just removing them and all of the old glue and just using the nuts to hold them in place, and getting some foam weatherstripping to keep it sealed, but this is just an idea
this is what i did... my 86 B2 had glue in windows... they were a b!t(h to get out, actually broke one, anyways, i picked up some off craigslist that were all ready out and still had the bolt studs, so i just hold them in with the nuts..

necessaryevil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
IDEA:
pop out the OE windows, get a set from a '88-91, drill the holes around the window flange to accept the window studs and seal with weather stripping for doors.

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
Transmission
Automatic
TAP Plastic in the San Fran area will make any auto glass you want, out of LEXAN, if you supply a pattern. I built an FFR cobra and broke the windshiel screwing it into the frame. TAP made a lexan copy that fit like an original and had an anti scratch coating as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals