• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is it worth buying to fix?

ncguy777

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hi guys. I'm new here but I owned and 86 Bronco II years ago and loved it. I sold it and now I wish I had another but I need a truck so that's that.

Anyway, I have a chance to buy an 88 Bronco II with the 2.9, auto trans, push button 4wd, original paint in excellent condition, and around 95k miles. The problem is the oil pump went out on the original owner and it has been sitting under a carport for five years. According to the owner nothing else is wrong he just didn't know how to replace the oil pump. I won't be keeping the Bronco but I can get it for around $500 and figure I will need to spend around $350-$400 on it to get it going again and tuned up. I was hoping to sell it for around $1500 with winter on its way. My question is would you guys take the risk that there's more wrong with the truck or just buy it and start working? As much as i would love to keep it this vehicle would be strictly an investment and something to hopefully make some money on. Thanks in advance for your advice.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
sitting for five years? all the gaskets are probably bone dry and will break apart in your hand. you'd have to pull the engine to replace the oil pump and i dont see how you could do that for $300-$400 unless you did it yourself. all the fuel lines are probably gummed up, untreated unleaded gas stays good for about a year depending on conditions. the battery is also definitely shot and probably the tires too. so think about all that and then add on top of that, the fact that nothing ever goes as planned or as quickly as you planned. i'd give them $300 and remind them that you're giving them the chance to use their carport for the first time in 5 years. if i were you, i'd buy it and keep it, or tell me where it is, so i can buy it and keep it, lol......post some pics of it

ncguy777

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I would be doing the work myself. I figure I can hopefully get by with the oil pump, plugs and wires, oil and filter, transmission fluid and filter, and maybe some gas. He put a new battery in it but I hadn't considered the tires. If I decide not to buy it I will point you his way.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
where are you located? i just noticed ur name was ncguy, north carolina?

pulling the 2.9 out isnt that bad, i just bought an engine stand and rented a huge engine hoist (it was $23 for 24 hrs.) i have some tires that i was gonna put on my 88 bronco 2 that i got from a junkyard, but i'm gonna put a lift and 31's on instead, i'll sell them to you for $75 for the set. you could probably find some on craigslist real cheap too.

ncguy777

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
where are you located? i just noticed ur name was ncguy, north carolina?

pulling the 2.9 out isnt that bad, i just bought an engine stand and rented a huge engine hoist (it was $23 for 24 hrs.) i have some tires that i was gonna put on my 88 bronco 2 that i got from a junkyard, but i'm gonna put a lift and 31's on instead, i'll sell them to you for $75 for the set. you could probably find some on craigslist real cheap too.
I'm in Western NC near Hickory. l have a set of tires that should fit the truck but everything I have to put on it I didn't plan for is less profit. I will try to talk to my buddy who will help me do the work and see what he thinks as well. Thanks again for the info.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
hickory, nice. i go camping up in pisgah NF every year and we drive on 40 through hickory. i love the nc mountains, i cant wait til i can take my b2 up there. your lucky to be so close. not to mention there is a pick and pull in winston.

good luck gettin this thing squared away, i hope you can get it driveable again especially since it's in such good shape with low miles. i think you could easily get it back on the road for $500 or less if you do everything. you may be able to sell it for more than $1500 too.

oh and i would def appreciate it if you turned me onto the guy if you dont end up buying it. the bronco 2 that i have now was my dad's before i turned 16 and i kinda weasled it away from him. so i've been trying to find him a new one to give to him since he "gave" me his. i'll take it off your hands if you fix it too.

Last edited:

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i'd give them $300 and remind them that you're giving them the chance to use their carport for the first time in 5 years.
Why the F*** arent you a car salesman? LOL Thats is the best line Ive ever heard. :icon_rofl:

(Finally someone to sig besides HOPMAN)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals