• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My "Door Ajar" fix

kid_crash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So my 2001 4 door ex-cab has had a door ajar problem since I got it. I finally got around to fixing it today. I knew it wasn't my drivers door since the chime would sound if I left my keys in the ignition, when the door was open. I figured it had to be the passengers door. So I took it all apart, tore up my hand, got the latch mechanism out, tested the switch and found it to be fine, GRRRR!
Then I thought in all the door ajar posts I've seen, no one has mentioned if the rear doors have a switch in them. Sure enough, they do. Since I'm not to worried about the light being affected by the rear doors, I just popped the door panels loose and cut the wire leading to the switches. Problem solved.
Man, I must have sprayed and worked the front door latch 10 times trying to get it to come to life. LOL.
Anyways, thought I'd share my quick fix.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Cool! Good work...but...it would be more helpful if you could have detailed this a bit. Sometimes things are self evident to us when we do a job and have everything in front of us...reading this left me wondering where the switch is, what panel would I remove, and what wires to cut (you know those movies when people disable bombs and they do that close up of the wire snips...lol)...

Anyway, it would probably be a good Tech Library document if you have time and want to be famous...:)

BRIANINVANC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER PI
Transmission
Manual
Door ajar chime fixed solution?

Hey Mark
I have a '95 Ranger-same problem.My brother suggested searching for the chime connect under the steering wheel and just disconnecting.Did you try this? if not,exactly which wire ( inside the door panel) did you try snipping and were you successful ?

Thanks!!! Disabled and poor in Vanc Brian

Cool! Good work...but...it would be more helpful if you could have detailed this a bit. Sometimes things are self evident to us when we do a job and have everything in front of us...reading this left me wondering where the switch is, what panel would I remove, and what wires to cut (you know those movies when people disable bombs and they do that close up of the wire snips...lol)...

Anyway, it would probably be a good Tech Library document if you have time and want to be famous...

BRIANINVANC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER PI
Transmission
Manual
"Door ajar fix"

Hey 'Kid "
Can you help me out with this one ? thanks !! Brian

Hey Mark
I have a '95 Ranger-same problem.My brother suggested searching for the chime connect under the steering wheel and just disconnecting.Did you try this? if not,exactly which wire ( inside the door panel) did you try snipping and were you successful ?

Thanks!!! Disabled and poor in Vanc Brian

Anyway, it would probably be a good Tech Library document if you have time and want to be famous...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Sorry Brian...I missed this...probably thinking it was directed at the OP...

Anyway...yes, I did disable my chimes but mainly for the third party security system that the previous owner either put in or messed up. This was a Viper system on my 96 that was driving me nuts and I read an article on-line showing how to disable it...and it was a matter of disconnecting one of the white wire clips...but I did this last summer or spring and have since removed the entire security system...

Mine wasn't just door chimes...the dash would light up and the horn and siren would woop woop woop beeeeneeeeeer beeeeeener...until I shut the key off and pulled it out.

Anyway, again, mine was the viper alarm system...not door chimes...:)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals