• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to Wire this up

Southkrypt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2.1amp Dual USB Fast Charger For my Truck. It has a power and ground wire. I am wanting to wire it up to turn on/off when the truck is. I am having a hard time figuring out where to connect the power wire to. I also have a 30amp fuse wired into it. Any suggestions on where I should wire it up to?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Find the ignition switch on the column. There is a black/green wire that is hot in start and accessory. I would tap that wire right near the switch if your chargers power wire is already fused. It's a fairly large wire and should be able to handle the added load just fine.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well first don't use that 30amp fuse, I doubt the chargers internal wiring could handle 30amps, so the wiring would burn up before the fuse blows.
If load is 3amps then use a 5amp fuse.

I would hook it to the cigarette lighter circuit, it isn't a Key off circuit, but I think it might be a better use if you can charge devices when key is off, I doubt anything you could plug in to this charger could use enough power to drain a 400amp battery before it was fully charged.
But if you want to use a Key on/off circuit you can look in the fuse box in the cab, get a test light or volt meter.
Many of those fuses are only active with key on, you can buy inserts that allow you to tap into a fuse circuit in the box.
Pull out the fuse and then turn key on and off, only one side of the fuse holder will have power with key on, that is the side you want to tap, install insert and then put fuse back in, hook your 5amp fuse to the insert and to the USB charger, ground the charger wire to existing Ground Point, there are several on the firewall or near the fuse box.

Southkrypt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just tapped into m y remote wire for my amp. using a 5amp fuse for the charger. that gives me the on/off feature as well

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals