• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

rear main seal

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic
It looks like i have a rear main seal leaking. It just started and so far I have gone thru a half quart of oil in 2 weeks.:annoyed:
I dont have the $$ to get it or to have it repaired right now.
can anyone recommend an additive that i can use in the oil to tide me over that will put a band-aid on the leak for now.

and NO a 4.0 is not a viable option right now. damn it.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
You can try a pcv valve out of a larger V-8 sometimes that leak is just from excessive blowby or maybe just a new pcv when was the last time you changed it. Dont try and clean it they get old and they are cheap.

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic
You can try a pcv valve out of a larger V-8 sometimes that leak is just from excessive blowby or maybe just a new pcv when was the last time you changed it. Dont try and clean it they get old and they are cheap.
i changed it about 3 years ago.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
the seal is only 11 bux, i dont reccomend any additive they tend to gum up the important stuff, u can try a diesel weight oil 15w40 20w50, that might slow it down some due to the thicker oil. i had to replace mine right when i got it, thats how i got it so cheap, not hard to do just a big pita

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic
ummm ahhhh wellllll,
have you ever looked at something and just started obsessing about it till you come to the conclusion that the issue is worse than it really is ?
not me. noo!!
I got to thinking last night. :icon_idea:
If it was the rear main seal wouldnt i hear some sort of odd noise or a vibration or would it just be leaking out the bottom of the bell housing?
so i got up this morning and took a closer look from the top. I have oil on the top of the bell housing as well as the back left side of the block. Hmmm
so i follow the path of the up the block and to the lower bolt of the valve cover. i get my socket and extension out and what do you know. Its loose.:shok:
so i give it about 3 turns and or so its snugg. i also tightened the others about 1 turn each. DHOOO.
well that is all i got to say about that.
thats what i get when i assume. but generally i make the greater ass out of me.

anyway thanks for the responses. It never would of gotten me to looking outside of the box. or in the box or whatever.
:icon_cheers:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
No, you would not hear any noises or anything. It would leak out of the bottom of the bellhousing or rear of the oil pan. It is like an $11 seal but you have to pull the tranny so after fluids, other seals, and stuff you'll be in deeper than that.

Good to hear that it is the valve cover seal... you should just replace that.. it will keep leaking. They're easy to change.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
i gotta replace my valve cover gaskets too

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic
No, you would not hear any noises or anything. It would leak out of the bottom of the bellhousing or rear of the oil pan. It is like an $11 seal but you have to pull the tranny so after fluids, other seals, and stuff you'll be in deeper than that.

Good to hear that it is the valve cover seal... you should just replace that.. it will keep leaking. They're easy to change.
i wonder if it would be a bad thing to use some medium strength locktite on the fasteners.

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
I had the same problem on my 88.I was using 10/30 full syn.oil, then on my next oil change I used 10/30 High mileage Mobil 1 syn. an it stop leaking.3 oil changes later and still no leaks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals