• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 4.0 into a 95 Splash

Wrecked98

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a few questions regarding changing engines. My buddy has a wrecked 98 with the 4.0 auto, and he is looking at a 95 Splash that has a bad 4.0 and is a 5 speed. I know we will have to change the flywheel and related components... but what else will he have to change in order to make it right? We have stripped the wrecked truck of all of the electronics so we basically should have whatever we need part wise. Pointers and direction on this are needed as I have searched but I'm not finding out specifics on what all is needed.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you are just swapping the engine then not much is needed as far as changes.
Just strip both 4.0l's down to long block, heads and block, and bolt all the '95 parts to the '98 engine.
I think they changed the crankshaft's flywheel/flexplate from a 6 bolt to an 8 bolt around '96/'97 so you will need to get a new one for the '98 if you want to go with manual trans

If you are going to make the '95 manual truck into and automatic then it would be more involved.
Changing pedals and steering column, seal floor plate.
Change wiring harness for automatic control.

I assume both are either 2WD or 4WD

Change front and rear main seals in either case

Last edited:

Wrecked98

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If you are just swapping the engine then not much is needed as far as changes.
Just strip both 4.0l's down to long block, heads and block, and bolt all the '95 parts to the '98 engine.
I think they changed the crankshaft's flywheel/flexplate from a 6 bolt to an 8 bolt around '96/'97 so you will need to get a new one for the '98 if you want to go with manual trans

If you are going to make the '95 manual truck into and automatic then it would be more involved.
Changing pedals and steering column, seal floor plate.
Change wiring harness for automatic control.

I assume both are either 2WD or 4WD

Change front and rear main seals in either case
Cool. Sounds like a straight forward swap. Are there any computer upgrades with the 98 compared to the 95 or they all the same...

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Yeah if I'm not mistaken 98 is obd 2-95 isn't (all I know Is all 96+ cars are obd2).

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
You're gonna want to use the 95 computer though if you keep it 5 speed (would make the swap way easier to keep it manual). If you choose auto you're looking at a weaker tranny, and then all the wiring and everything else invovled

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Cool. Sounds like a straight forward swap. Are there any computer upgrades with the 98 compared to the 95 or they all the same...
1994 Rangers were the last year of the EEC-IV OBD 1 computer

1995 Rangers had the first EEC-V OBD 2 computer....BUT, these were 1st generation OBD 2 so not all scanners can connect with them.
1996 and up Rangers have the current OBD 2 protocol so any OBD 2 scanner can "talk" with them.

The Computers are the same in '95 and up Rangers just the communications protocol is different in '95, so one is not "better" than the other as far as engine operation.

Just stick with the '95 computer.
Computers have fixed firmware for engine size and transmission type, so you have to match those when swapping computers.
There were also changes in sensor types over the years with EEC-V systems.
Cam position sensors were changed from 3 wire to 2 wire, these are not interchangeable.
MAF sensors changed from 4 wire to 6 wire, intake air temp was added to MAF sensor.

But if you swap just the block and heads, the engine parts, then it will be a simpler install as all the '95 wiring will be plug 'n play to the '95 intake sensors.

The only other part you will need to buy would be a flywheel for '98 4.0l as the '95 flywheel won't bolt to '98 crankshaft

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals