• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

F-4 vs 4x4

Nic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So what's the differance? If always wondered, but have never found out. Anyone know?

Mike Tonon

fx4 is always 4x4, supercab and loaded. 4x4 can be a base model, loaded or somewhere in between.

The dealer tried to convince me to get an fx4, when I bought my Ranger, but I wanted the long bed and couldn't get that from them with supercab and I didn't want all the extras, just certain extras.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so Fx4 is just fancier. Thanks!

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Ok, so Fx4 is just fancier. Thanks!
Yep. Fx4 Level II has a factory front lift, 31s, bilstein shocks (I think?), and a 31 spline rear axle.

mattging94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
http://www.therangerstation.com/resources/FX4.htm

It's a little more than just fancy bells and whistles. The FX4 is the only post-98 Ranger to get a manual shift transfer case. It also has the full array of skid plates, a sturdier 31 spline axle with a Torsen locking differential, and heavier torsion bars in the front for a taller ride height. They are pretty desirable trucks really, if you can find one. I know I wanted one really bad after I wrecked my 94 and needed a new rig.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
We have a pretty nice FX4 LII on our lot right now. Rear axle has a bearing out, and we are just slapping a whole unit in.

Guess who is about to pick up a 31-spline torsen 8.8 for cheap. :)

Oh, and all the FX4s had 4.10 gears.

Nic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, cool, thank you all for the info! That's pretty neat, I want one now:). And matt, how'd you wreck your truck?

Mike Tonon

The manual shift case and the chrome shifters are nice! But if I remember correctly, you loose the two cup holders with the manual shift t-case. And those cup holders I use a lot, only two the truck has. Except for my coffee mugs, some fit, some don't. The ones that don't, I sit them on the high part of the floor and wedge the handle in between the middle and passenger seats of my 60/40. I always saw my dad do that with his coffee mug on his 87 ranger with 60/40 seats. Although, for what it's worth, I kind of would rather have the manual shift. Sometimes my 4x4 low doesn't go in unless I play with the switch a little.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Just keep in mind that the FX4 and FX4 LvlII are different.

02Fx4red

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Just keep in mind that the FX4 and FX4 LvlII are different.

In 02 they didn't have level 2. But the 02 fx4 is the same as an 03 level 2.
So any 02 fx4 you see is a basically a level two

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I just had this discussion with a guy yesterday. He has an 06 fx4, it doesn't say lvlII, it just says fx4 offroad, he doesn't have a 31 spline axle, just a plane jane 28 spline.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just had this discussion with a guy yesterday. Be has an 06 fx4, it doesn't say lvlII, it just says fx4 offroad, he doesn't have a 31 spline axle, just a plane jane 28 spline.
If it was an '02 it would be the same as the 03+ level II though. The '03+ straight FX4 like your friends was similar to the previous "Off Road" trucks.

Aside from the interior and rear axle the LII is wash IMO. The shocks are 10 years old and the skidplates are tinfoil.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
There is a little misinformation in this thread. The FX4 or Level II doesn't have a lift kit in the front from the factory. It does have the stiffest torsion bars but the ride height is set the same as any 4WD Ranger of the same model year. The FX4 LII did sit a little higher from the factory because it came with 31" tires.

The Torsen differential is not a locking differential. It is basically a limited slip differential but doesn't wear out like the clutch style LSD does. The Torsen also has higher torque bias but will still spin one wheel if the other one doesn't have any traction. One advantage of the Torsen is it almost acts like a locker when accelerating.

My FX4 still has two cup holders with the twin sticks. Although, I am pretty sure the console is a little different compared to other Rangers. I think the only thing you can't have with the twin sticks is an ash tray.

The FX4 L II skid plates are not armor plate but are thicker than the standard 4WD Ranger and at least a little better than foil.

There are many things I like about the FX4 L II but one of the main ones is the larger bearings in the rear axle that come with the 31 spline axle. I do a lot of towing and that larger bearing is considerably more durable. I had an 89 Ranger that served the same duty and at around 120K miles the rear bearing, seals and axles had to be replaced due to excessive wear. My FX4 has 180K miles on it and all is still good with those items.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The FX4 L II skid plates are not armor plate but are thicker than the standard 4WD Ranger and at least a little better than foil.

There are many things I like about the FX4 L II but one of the main ones is the larger bearings in the rear axle that come with the 31 spline axle. I do a lot of towing and that larger bearing is considerably more durable. I had an 89 Ranger that served the same duty and at around 120K miles the rear bearing, seals and axles had to be replaced due to excessive wear. My FX4 has 180K miles on it and all is still good with those items.
Not much better if you are going to use them as "Skid Plates" The weight of the truck will crush them. Given that my truck doesn't have any and I can't say as I missed them that kinda says something too.

My Explorer 8.8 was $100 with springs and factory disks a little bit of welding and it is ready to drop in. Parts supply is major Explorers>FX4s. And since it has a normal carrier lunchbox lockers are a valid option too.

Last edited:

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
adsm08, what are you gonna do with 2 Torsens?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals