• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco 2 project need help and suggestions

Countryboy91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 stocker
Transmission
Automatic
Buying a 1988 bronco 2 off a friend. It has 2.9 5spd man transfer case. But wanting to lift it and etc. Was curious if early bronco items would work like the bolt in roll cage possibly the removable roof axles etc. Any one ever us parts off the early bronco besides the axles? Was thinking bout doing a chop top and using the roof off eB as a removable roof and add a roll cage for eB as some extra protection. Not making this a mega mud truck or anything out of this world. Just wanting something good for dd and mudder. I plan on using it on tailed and mud parks but want to drive home kinda thing. Any help would be awesome and much appreciated. This is my first bronco 2 but I'm familiar with ranger have own two.still gave one.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Have you checked the tech section? There are various b2 builds on here, check them out. I've never seen any body try an early bronco top on a b2. Not saying impossible but I'd think the top would be worth lots. Measurements would be in order.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Countryboy91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 stocker
Transmission
Automatic
Yea I've look just didn't see much of what I was looking at

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Nothing on an Early Bronco will swap into a Bronco II without extensive modification. Don't take this the wrong way, but if you are really asking that question, you probably don't have the skills or tools required to do it and make any of it work AND look good. Sorry. Don't start hackin' away with the sawzall and stick welder and expect miracles.

The other piece here is that modifying Early Bronco parts to fit something else is just financially stupid! They are really uncommon now and worth a lot of money to the right people. Honestly, most EB parts aren't worth putting under a B2/Ranger anyway... the narrow 9" axle being the exception. I had an EB D44 axle under my Ranger for a while and it was way less than ideal for a variety of reasons.

Now what you CAN do is buddy up with someone who owns an offroad shop and have them bend up some tube for a roll cage. Explorer axles, swap the whole Explorer (or Ranger) 4.0 drivetrain while you're at it. If you MUST chop the top, you have to do a lot of reinforcing afterwards because the body gets really floppy when you remove a lot of it. I would honestly avoid lifting it, too. You gain exactly zero ground clearance under the axles with any lift, bigger tires or different axles are the only fix for that, and low center of gravity in a B2 is your best friend!

Good luck. :icon_thumby:

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
X2 agreed. EB parts are getting scarce and pricey. If yours in in decent shape there are lots of things less expensive to make it cool then cutting it up. Check out the BII section on builds and the Tech section, lots of good info there. Nice BII's are starting to be scarce too so keep that in mind too. Good luck and post up what you think or do.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
The bronco and bronco 2 aren't the same size, trying to get parts from a full size bronco to fit a bronco 2 is not going to be easy, and not economical.

Unfortunately parts and accessories are kind of limited on them.

HellBilly7705

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco 2
Transmission
Manual
I have an 84 and I have found lots of stuff on ebay .....and other places on the web....most will tell you if they will work on a Bronco 2 or not

Mike83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When I was going to do a chop top I thought of a removable roof. I was going to cut mine just behind the brace, and weld a flange behind that to put weatherstripping on. Then take something like ranger bed caps and weld them onto the bottom of the roof/cut line on body for bolting surface. Lots of fab work, have to take some sort of hatch/tailgate mod into consideration. But would be cool when it's done:)

Countryboy91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 stocker
Transmission
Automatic
Well I wasn't meaning the rare parts I just look at bronco graveyard and was thinking.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals