• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coil springs

shadow88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is there a real big ride difference going from 4" rough country lift springs to something like skyjacker springs?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
There's likely to be some difference in ride... Skyjacker's coil springs seem to be about 10-15% softer than some others I have found.

A "real big" difference would be with Jeep XJ springs (about 45-50% softer).

I'd probably look into a better set of shocks first if the ride isn't what you want (shocks will affect ride more than anything else).

shadow88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the shocks are fairly new, but i thought of that too, im just sick of how stiff this rough country lift rides, thinking of pulling the front and rear springs out and doing something different

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I run Skyjacker's JC60F coils on mine (compressed height about 16¼", or about 5¼" lift). If their lift height is consistent among their part #s, then I would expect the ones you linked to be about 3¾" lift (maybe add a washer or two if you need that last bit).

What kind of shocks are you running? Are they gas-charged?

shadow88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The shocks are what came with the rough country lift kit,

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Well it certainly sounds like your Rough Country kit is living up to it's name...

RC's shocks are nothing to write home about (especially the generic white twin-tube ones), however I know their springs are real stiff too. You may be looking at having to replace both the shocks and the springs if you are to tame it's stiff ride (this is one big reason why the Rough Country kits are not the highest-regarded around here).

I run Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks on mine, though there are many other good shocks out there at different price points too. Unless you plan to romp on it, you probably don't need reservoirs, just something decent. King, Fox, Bilstein, KYB and Gabriel all have some good offerings (I've personally used Fox, Bilstein and KYB). King, Fox, and some Bilstein shocks are also rebuildable/revalvable, so you can tune them firmer or softer if needed.

As for springs, I would suggest you read up on the XJ coil swap if you haven't already and are thinking of going that route, as they are not something you can just stick in there and have work properly. For one thing, it is absolutely imperative that the angle of your steering linkage be correct, otherwise the springs will quickly make light of it in the form of very poor handling (you will need something other than a run-of-the-mill drop pitman arm for your 4" lift). Also some modification to your spring buckets will be needed.
If you are looking for better offroad performance (more articulation), XJ coils will certainly be a big improvement. If your rig spends most of it's time on the street though, then it might be easier to just stick with regular TTB coils. Skyjacker's #134 4" lift coils I recall are about 10% softer than RC's coils, not a huge difference, but may still be enough to notice.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals