• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 Hyundai Accent wont start

JFA_Spyderman

Law Enforcement
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Yo,
The car is an 2002 Hyundai Accent, 1.5l, 5-spd. A great little car, gets around 37MPG. Anyway, I got back from a 5 day trip and the car would turn over, but not start. So i took a chance because i was far from home, and I rolled it down a hill and compression started it. It started so i went on.

I got home and turned it off, immediatly after i turned it off and on again, it started fine. The next day after the engine cooled down, it wouldnt start again. I comp started it again and drove it to the gas station to fill up. After i filled the tank, it wouldnt start again. So i rolled it down another hill and started it and drove it home.

I checked the plugs, they looked fine.

A fuel filter was reccomended to me, so I changed that and still no go. I also pulled the injectors and tried to start the car but no fuel came out.

Is there anything you guys can think of?

Thanks a ton!

JFA_Spyderman

Law Enforcement
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Yo,
Update. I have fuel pressure up to the injectors, but the injectors do not seem to be opening. Anyone know a good way to test the injectors or what controls them? Thanks!

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It starts when you roll it, but won't start on the functioning starter?

It starts every time you roll it?

I have to think that the main electrical feed goes through the starter and for some reason doesn't function while the starter is turning. I would check that out. See if the coil or something is getting power when the motor is cranking. I think it must not be. I've never been within a measured mile from a Hyundia so I don't know how they are put together but my feeling is the starter solenoid is somehow at fault.

JFA_Spyderman

Law Enforcement
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Yo,
Thanks Will, I'll try that tomorrow.

After a bit of research, I also found that these engines have both a camshaft position sensor, as well as a crankshaft position sensor. They send the pulsing signal to the injectors and tell them when to fire. They may also be linked to the ignition as well.

Thanks!

JFA_Spyderman

Law Enforcement
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Yo,
FYI, turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor. Thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals