• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

84' Ranger 2.3L

RangerChrisG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys i am new to the forum (posted in the New member forum) and i wanted to ask a few questions. I have searched AND searched.
I recently got me a 1984 Ranger 2wd 2.3L. Runs nice and all. I drove it for two days seems fine, then i did a oil change and drove to work the next day (on the highway 70-75mph 4th gear) and OIL was all over the passanger side engine bay. There is a hose pointed towards that side that sits on top of the Valve cover, and i believe it came from there. I thought maybe i over filled the oil, but mind i only added 5qts of 10w30 with filter change. The PCV is there connected to a hose by the distributor, but the small side of the PCV hose is cutt off and plugged with a screw. Im trying and trying to see where this side of the hose gets connected to, to see if this would help the blow bye. Could me driving highway speeds do anything with oil getting everywhere? ANY help or links would help. Again i have searched and found some things but not what i am asking. TIA

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sounds to me like a pcv valve hose, or it could lead to under the carb. The pcv hose is big, about the size of your thumb.

RangerChrisG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
So i need to connect it back to the carb? Because its cutt and blocked

RangerChrisG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
So pcv should connect from valve cover to the canister? with the pcv valve inbetween the hoses?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Can you post a pic? Use a photohosting website such as imageshack, imagur, or photobucket. Copy the IMG file and paste it into the mountain icon directly above where you write your answers.

RangerChrisG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
And the pcv I bought a new one and hose and plugged it to the carb lower base vacuum plug... when I am installing the valve cover gasket I am going to take off the "canister where the pcv connection is and clean that as I have read It gets clogged. .

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
If the pcv off the crank case is clogged or plugged, it will cause all of the blow by to be forced out the hose on the valve cover which will blow oil out due to poor baffle design. The hose on the valve cover is supposed to go to the breather, and the pcv hooked to the carb.

RangerChrisG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Mikel89us: Tahnk You... The pcv was connected to the hose, but the small end was blocked off. I bought a new pcv and some hose re-connected the new pcv to the new hose and then the small end to the carb. Now no more blocked pcv. As far as the hose on top of the valve cover , i just added a breather filter there, as i have a different Carb air cleaner.

Today i am going to take off the canister that the pcv hose leads to and clean that. Also going to do the valve cover gasket and the carb base gasket and manifold gasket since they came with the Gasket kit i purchased shown above ^^^.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
The large blue trapezoid is the cam cover gasket. The wider end is placed over the forward bearing carrier, just behind the cam sprocket, and wraps down to the flat surface of the top of the cylinder head.
The four-holer is a gasket between the upper and lower intake manifolds.
The remaining gasket is for use between the two parts of the lower intake manifold. There was a water jacket in some, and this is the gasket that keeps the water from leaking out.
It sure fits a lot of Limas...
tom

RangerChrisG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Thank You Tomw... and thank you ALL...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
That looks like the rubber valve cover gasket (the big one) that I used on mine...they are actually reusable but they stretch a bit...if you don't make a good seal on the first try or need to remove the vc later it will go back on with a bit of coaxing...but may not seal as well if you don't get it just right.

I've also had about five gasket sets that had those extra ones...and there was usually four of them...a smaller blue one came with all the sets I used to buy...think I still have a few of them somewhere.

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
what we do with the valve cover gasket is use silicone to glue it to the valve cover, that way it stays in the right place when you take it off, make re assembly so much easier

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals