• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What part is this?

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
I was looking over my engine and noticed a pretty decent oil leak. It looks to be coming from around this part or close to it. I just can't recognize what part this is. I have my magnetic wand touching the part in the picture. The picture was taken from under the truck. Its hard to get a close look in this tight area so If the oil leak isn't coming from this part where may it be coming from?

View attachment 18158

View attachment 18159

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yup, that's a fuel pump. Mechanical fuel pumps are driven by a lobe on the cam that works a lever on the pump, kinda like an old hand-pump spigot. There is a gasket between the pump and the front cover that seals the oil system, so it could be leaking oil from the fuel pump.

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
Good to know.. Ok now for some simple questions. When replacing this gasket what should I be aware of? Is oil going to spew everywhere? Should I drain the oil first. And can I pick this gasket up at any parts store?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
No need to drain, oil won't spew. Cut your own gasket if can't find.

sent while sitting on the throne

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The mounting gasket is not your problem. There is a rubber diaphragm within the fuel pump, when it fails, it will leak oil. No need to drain the oil before pulling the fuel pump. The push rod is going to fall out when you replace the pump, so be ready for it.

The original Ford pump is E3TZ-9350-D, and was made by Carter. RockAuto has Carter pumps for $22, or you can get an NOS Ford pump here for $25:

http://www.nospartsltd.com/product-p/e3tz9350d.htm

It would also be a good idea to get a gear wrench in 13mm (I think). When I replaced mine, I had to loosen it a bit, flip the wrench, loosen, flip, repeat.

Starlord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Andy is correct on the rubber gasket inside, there is a gasket between the pump and the block but it really doesn't have much of a job to do other than just be there (no movement on it, little pressure) so I doubt it would go bad, but it could, either way for 22$ you might as well replace the pump while you have it out, they are not fun to get in and out. Good advice on the ratcheting wrench, I had to do the wrench flipping thing too, takes a lot of patience. It is 13mm, and buy a good set with small teeth, you can't move it far so if you get a cheap one you can't move it far enough for it even to ratchet and its useless, also there isn't much room between the bolt and the pump so it can't be too thick on the sides. I believe I ended up taking my oil pressure tube out when I put it back in anyway, that gives you some more space. If you have AC take that pump off its bracket too, you don't have to unhook the hoses and all that, just set it to the side

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What I did on my parts b-2 to remove the fuel pump;

The other bolt is easy.

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
What I did on my parts b-2 to remove the fuel pump;

The other bolt is easy.
Are you running two universal joint socket adapters? Wow this is going to be fun.... :icon_confused:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes, two universals. I have bad knees and this was easier than from underneath for me, YMMV

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Andy is correct on the rubber gasket inside, there is a gasket between the pump and the block but it really doesn't have much of a job to do other than just be there (no movement on it, little pressure) so I doubt it would go bad...
Valve covers are the same way, they leak all the freakin time. Oil gets on top of them, saturates them, after many years the material gets old and brittle and cracks, then stuff leaks.

But yeah, even expensive mechanical fuel pumps are pretty cheap compared to cheap electric ones. At that age you might as well replace it if you are taking it off.

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
This motor has been completely rebuilt and a new fuel pump put on not even a year ago by a local shop. But since fuel pumps are cheap it wouldn't hurt to replace it to see if it fixes the problem.
View attachment 18162

View attachment 18163

image-3.jpeg

image-2.jpeg

Last edited:

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
Great info! That's definately worth a try! Thanks

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
There is a weep hole in the aluminum casting, similar to the weep hole on a water pump. When you see oil coming from this, it is to alert you that the diaphragm has ruptured. When this diaphragm ruptures, you lose the barrier between the crankcase and the fuel pump. Oil can leak out, gasoline can leak into the crankcase. The oil leak is not the problem you need to fix, it's a warning that there is impending doom.

When buying replacement parts, I would not buy the cheapest part available and expect great results.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals