• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'89 dome light

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, now my 89 has the "door ajar" continously happening. It say the driver door is always open and leaves the dome light on and chime dingin away :annoyed: :temper: I solved it temporarily by pulling the fuse, but I would like to have my dome light back. I already tried lubing the "switch" but it did nothing.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Chances are that the driver's door pin switch is causing the problem. If you can manually push the pin switch in and make the problem go away, then try backing the switch out a couple of turns. If this fixes it, but the switch is loose, you can shim it out with washers. I believe that these switches are adjustable, to a degree; carefully pull the plunger out with pliers. At worse case, the switch is fried and needs to be replaced.

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply. I already tried pushing the pin multiple times. It showed 0 results. I was unaware the switch turned, but it does not seem loose. Mine does not appear to have nut on it. It is surrounded by black foam. Do I have to take off the interior panels to access it? Can I just pull the plunger out with pliers without loosening anything else. Thanks for the info on this one!!

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
There should be a hex nut part of the pin switch, 5/8" I think, which is probably under the foam you're seeing. If you've tried pushing in with your finger and it didn't make the dome light go off, the pin switch is likely bad (should have been real stiff to push in, BTW). I don't think it's accessible at all from inside the kick panel, but they're easy to unscrew and remove from the front. Once you got it out in your hand, you'll see how pushing the plunger moves 3 contact points (each with a wire) away from a shorting collar. When the points aren't touching the shorting collar, the light (and dinger) turn off. When they touch, light's on.

Be aware that Fords switch (+) Positive, so don't touch any of the points to metal (you can just leave the fuse out until you pull it). Once out, with the fuse back in the pin switch is operable in your hand. So, either the switch is shot, or, possibly the wires could be shorted together to cause the constant dome light and dinger. It's really easy to dope out once you pull it; you'll see.

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I recently picked up a new pin, but it doesn't fit. What I bought looks like what robbied described, but whats in the truck doesn't. This is the "pin" that i pulled out

It appears to be from a different vehicle. It has a long spring in it and tab to push a switch. The pin was broken, but I don't even see any wiring going to the "sleeve" it resides in.

This is a pic from inside the truck. The pin sleeve is mounted to the seatbelt spool thing.

Any help from here is appreciated.

Oh yeah, robbied, no nut on current pin but there is one on the one I bought. Current one is held in by plastic nut from inside cab.

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, I have delved into the wiring running along the driver side under the carpet in hopes of finding out something.... anything..... you know how it is. Also an interesting note... no wires appear to be running to the pins. The only harness that runs near it just keeps going up (presumably to the dome and cargo lights) with no wires leaving it near that area. The only problem is I have an 89 and my piece o . haynes only has the wiring diagram for up to 88 and the colors don't match up. I am going to post the colors in hopes of someone with either experience or a factory electrical manual chiming in while I try to rangle (wrangle?) this elusive electrical mystery.

wire color/stripe
brown/ light blue
black (cargo lamp ground I think)
black
black/ pink (cargo lamp +)
pink/ light blue
pink/ green
black/ white
black/ light blue (dome lamp)
orange/ red

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Aww, man, I hate telling you this, but you're barking up the wrong tree. The dome light pin switch is on the front door jamb. What's in the pictures is the comfort regulator release switch for the seat belts, that's in the rear jamb. Just put that back together (at least it was already broke, right?), and look at the front jamb. I'm sorry that you got turned around on it.

Here's what I think that your wires are, in that lower harness:
wire color/stripe
brown/ light blue <seat belt switch>
black (cargo lamp ground I think) <yes>
black <this is also a ground>
black/ pink (cargo lamp +) <yes>
pink/ light blue <LR speaker>
pink/ green <LR speaker>
black/ white <RR speaker>
black/ light blue (dome lamp) <yes; switched, from the pin switches>
orange/ red <RR speaker>

"But", that lower harness won't do you much good.

Just off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure that the correct dome light pin switch wires go UP from the pin switches, and go into the cab high behind the dash. A real pain to get to. They go the light switch, then down and into the harness you're looking at.

Anyway, check that front door jamb, and let me know what you see. There should be a pin switch, just like the one you've bought. If there's just an empty hole, the original switch has been removed. Seems like I remember cases where the damn switch beaks apart, and leaves the wires shorted together, which keeps the dome lights on (as in your original problem).

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
RobbieD, yes the pin was already broken. I thought I had looked at the front jam with nothing there. I thought wrong. I really appreciate you bearing with me on this. I *think* I can handle it now. I finally found the correct pin (cause its so hard to find right :rolleyes:) Although you or anyone else may feel free to stop by my house anytime to knock me upside the head, maybe know some sense into me. :buttkick: Should be a simple swap tomorrow. Thanks again. :icon_cheers:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Naw; if you really need a knock upside the head that bad, you'll have to come down here. Just kidding, dude. I didn't even think about that darn seatbelt switch; it could very easily be confused for the dome light pin switch. So no need to beat yourself up over it.

Anyhoo, sounds like you've got it well under control now, but if you need more help, holler at me. Good luck!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals