• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A Couple of Questions

Leonm1645

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Hello, I just had a Couple of Question been thinking about converting my 90 ford ranger 2.3l 5speed 2wd to a v8 ranger with 4wd. I was just wondering will the stock 7.5 rear end hold up to a v8 I have a locker in the rear end because I hate the open rear end it came with. The next question I was wondering what a good manual transmission to put behind the 302 and a transfer case thinking of doing a SAS and using a jeep dana 30. And the last question if I cant use the stock 7.5 and I go to the 9 inch were do I need to run my speed cable so that my speed gauge works.
My grandpa will be helping me I have been working for him on his farm I have a little money saved from it and he has a ford-150 302 I don't remember the year but it has a carb on it. he is used to putting v8s in S-10s so this will be a little different.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi and welcome to TRS.
It's great that you are going to have your grampa helping. It sounds like a great learning experience.
To start I would just use the 7.5 for now and use the money towards your motor swap or SAS. There is a cheap way of making an open diff into a posi using extra side gear shims. The cost is the price of the shim/s and gear oil. If you blow the rear end then you can change it out for a stronger one but personally I would run it til I break it.
As far as the SAS I have no personal experience but generally the jeep d-30 is considered weak.
There is the "How to Tech" and "Other Articles" at the top of every page. Read thru those and the TRS magazine for lots of advise and ideas.
Start a build thread and post up pics and progress of your swaps.

Good luck.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
D30 isn't much weaker than the TTB D35 in the later 4x4 trucks. If you take it easy you will probably be ok. D44 or a D60 would be better but more involved (they are much wider and a different bolt pattern) I think James Duff makes a SAS kit for a Ranger.

Need more info on your donor truck, I would use as much of the powertrain from it as I could.

Leonm1645

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Ok. thanks a lot, I will be looking for a donor truck for the 302, transmission and transfer case. all I have atm is an old carbureted 302 out of an old f-150 my grandpa had. It does not have a transmission or transfer case with it. I would like to have a 302 with a carb what year should I look for that has a 302 with a Carb on it, a good 5 or 4-speed tranny and transfer case.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can add an intake and different ignition to any pushrod 5.0 to make it carburated.

Your truck being fuel injected already it might be easier to just stay fuel injected though.

AOD for automatic or M5ODR2 for manual would be my picks, 97-03 4.2 V6 trucks have the best shifter location for the M5.

NP-205 is probably the best fitting t-case out of the box, make sure to use the support bracket because it is HEAVY and will tweak your aluminum transmission case if left unsupported.

Ranger_Boi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think SAS swap depends on how your going to use it. if its a wheelin rig then a D44 would be nice. But if your just wanting to go play in the hills once in a wile i would take D35 out of a ranger. it would be cheaper to find (like at a junkyard) and you can rebuild / upgrade, you can upgrade all your steering parts from a D44 out of an older f150 for some strength.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think SAS swap depends on how your going to use it. if its a wheelin rig then a D44 would be nice. But if your just wanting to go play in the hills once in a wile i would take D35 out of a ranger. it would be cheaper to find (like at a junkyard) and you can rebuild / upgrade, you can upgrade all your steering parts from a D44 out of an older f150 for some strength.
The thing that complicates the heck out of it is he has a 2wd Ranger so to install a D35 in out of a Ranger he will need to cut out the engine crossmember from both trucks and weld/bolt the 4wd crossmember into his current 2wd truck.

For a SAS swap he could just leave his current crossmember alone or replace it with a smaller less obtrusive crossmember.

Personally I am putting a D35 in mine which is kinda sorta comparable to a D44... but mine has been 4wd since the beginning so it is a bolt in swap.

Last edited:

Leonm1645

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Update talked to my grandpa about the sas he told me that it would be easier to use some chevy 63 leafs and blocks for a 4inch lift what do yall think? have one more question the ford 2.3l has power distribution box and coil packs would i leave it in when i do the 302 swap it has my relays for the fuel pump headlights and everything in it I don't know much about engine or electronics like him but would like to know what yall have to say about it I am more in to shooting rifles and reloading for completion shooting. but i fell in love with this ranger and want to learn

-ps sorry for the of topic stuff

Ranger_Boi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The thing that complicates the heck out of it is he has a 2wd Ranger so to install a D35 in out of a Ranger he will need to cut out the engine crossmember from both trucks and weld/bolt the 4wd crossmember into his current 2wd truck.

For a SAS swap he could just leave his current crossmember alone or replace it with a smaller less obtrusive crossmember.

Personally I am putting a D35 in mine which is kinda sorta comparable to a D44... but mine has been 4wd since the beginning so it is a bolt in swap.
didnt think of that yah youre right id do a D35 then.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Update talked to my grandpa about the sas he told me that it would be easier to use some chevy 63 leafs and blocks for a 4inch lift what do yall think? have one more question the ford 2.3l has power distribution box and coil packs would i leave it in when i do the 302 swap it has my relays for the fuel pump headlights and everything in it I don't know much about engine or electronics like him but would like to know what yall have to say about it I am more in to shooting rifles and reloading for completion shooting. but i fell in love with this ranger and want to learn

-ps sorry for the of topic stuff
You need to get some sacred texts, everything will be clear what does what. If you stay EFI get one for your donor vehicle too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Ford-Ranger-Bronco-II-EVTM-Wiring-Diagram-Service-Manual/273039519582?hash=item3f926c6f5e:g:8McAAOSwUd9aaMOJ&vxp=mtr

For your spring swap you might get some good out of this:

http://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/suspension-and-body-lifts/chevy-leaf-spring-swap/

There is a ton of good reading you need to check out in the "how to tech" section in the banner at the top of this page.

didnt think of that yah youre right id do a D30 then.
Fixed it for you :icon_thumby:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There are going to be a bunch of little gotcha's to watch for.

To make things easy on yourself:

Find an M5OD-R2 4x4 transmission (this is probably your biggest challenge); if you get the one 85_Ranger4x4 suggests, it will have 12mm bolt holes, while the 302 uses 1/2" so you will need to ream them out .7mm. Using the M5OD will allow you to use the Ranger's hydraulic clutch making that part easy.

I would go with a BW4406 from a '96-03 F-150/Expedition. It is narrower than the later BW1356 (by about 2.25") and MUCH lighter than NP205. :) But that's personal preference. Ideally, a manual shift one as you are starting with 2wd (and electric ones are PIA anyways).

Explorer 302s are advantageous as the accessory drive is really compact (short), so there is less interference between engine and radiator.

If you go SAS:

Jeep D30 is 60.5" wms - wms; your 7.5" is 57". Also, the Jeep Hub register is 2.83" while your Ranger is 2.50". I run 1.5" spacers to get the tires to line up more/less and make everything hub centric. (My wheels are modified to the 2.83" hub diameter).

If you don't go SAS, there are TIB lift kits in the how-to section.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would go with a BW4406 from a '96-03 F-150/Expedition. It is narrower than the later BW1356 (by about 2.25") and MUCH lighter than NP205. :) But that's personal preference. Ideally, a manual shift one as you are starting with 2wd (and electric ones are PIA anyways).
One problem with a 4406 is the lack of a speedo drive. Another problem is while not as heavy as a 205 they are pretty good sized and are a really tight fit inside of a Ranger's frame rails similar to an NP-208. Another problem is they are a PITA to pull because of the torsion bar suspension of the donor trucks. If you are pulling an M5 you will be going thru all that anyway though...

97-98 had a VSS in the 4406, you can swap speedo drive parts into them and put a cable speedo drive on them. I think Twister went thru all that and then dropped the whole thing when it wouldn't fit between the frame rails of his BII.

You can cant the driveline to the passenger side to free up room for a t-case but it can cause vibrations and accelerate u-joint wear.

I have a 208 on the bench, after checking into them more I am going to sell it and go 205 because it will just fit better. :dntknw:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals