• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Alternator upgrade question

clubracergt1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am looking to do an upgrade to a higher output alternator on my 03 Edge 3.0L. While I can easily find mail order options, I would like to keep it local, so to speak. It seems future repair/replacement would be simpler and quicker if I were to use an alternator from a different application. I see that other model year/engine Rangers used a 130 amp alternator; but, while the mounting looks the same, I cannot find a concrete answer as to whether or not they'll bolt in. I suppose I'm asking if anyone knows what factory applications use a higher output alternator with the same mounting as my stock piece.
Thanks in advance,
Shaun

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

prymetime1

Reaction score
I am looking to do an upgrade to a higher output alternator on my 03 Edge 3.0L. While I can easily find mail order options, I would like to keep it local, so to speak. It seems future repair/replacement would be simpler and quicker if I were to use an alternator from a different application. I see that other model year/engine Rangers used a 130 amp alternator; but, while the mounting looks the same, I cannot find a concrete answer as to whether or not they'll bolt in. I suppose I'm asking if anyone knows what factory applications use a higher output alternator with the same mounting as my stock piece.
Thanks in advance,
Shaun
03 ranger should have 130 amp. I think after 93 ford used 130 amp alts in most model vehicles. That should be plenty unless u have killer auxiliaries running.

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good point and he has an edge...easiest way to tell is the 95 amp is a smaller case and has 3 sets of 4 holes at 12, 4, and 8. 130 is bigger and has 3 sets of 2 holes at same positions on the case. Front side, around the pulley.

clubracergt1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
03 ranger should have 130 amp. I think after 93 ford used 130 amp alts in most model vehicles. That should be plenty unless u have killer auxiliaries running.
It's got a 95 from my research. I'll check the holes when I go out next time. I have a small stereo system, no issues; but I'm adding an e-fan this weekend. I just want to avoid issues.

prymetime1

Reaction score
I'll be damned haha. When I had my foxbody (91) I did the 3g upgrade from a 94 stang I believe. I wasn't aware of middle 95 amp alt. Make sure u read up on wiring in a stronger alt, as with my stang I had to have big wire and 130 amp Fuze inline. U can use a 130 amp circuit breaker also as its easier to reset incase it ever blows.

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The Explorer with a 130 used the same harness. Should have no issues, direct swap. Good time to make sure everything is clean and all that.

Be a good time to bypass the battery to alt hot wire with some fine strand heavier-gauge wire. In which case, that new wire would need a fuse holder and appropriate fuse.

Yes...1 step of the big 3...on my list, as soon as the 'honeydo' one is emptied. Lol

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes just get one from a wrecking yard or a new one, but a 130amp model
yes they will just bolt in and plug in.

read here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/alternator.shtml

Why the larger alternator?
If it is for a subwoofer then don't bother, get Capacitors for the sub amp.
If for lighting then have at it.

If for a winch get a separate battery AND a bigger alternator :)

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
I got a 130 amp model to replace my 95 amp on my 96 2.3. Got it from the parts store just took my old one to compare and it bolted right up. No problems since.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals