• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Got the squeal

Macneilrider87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Automatic
2000 Ranger xlt
Auto 3.0 4x4

Hey everybody, lately I've been getting annoyed with this darn belt squeal. so far I replaced the belt, idler, and tensioner pulleys. I did not replace the actual tensioner itself just the pulley. It usually when it's wet (raining) or damp out (after rain). I took the belt off completely and turned it on no squealing then so it's not the cam sycro. spun other pulleys only two that seem bad are the power steering pump or the water pump now.

the power steering turns but takes alittle effort to turn by hand is this normal? There is no grinding or squeaking noise. When driving it turns fine in all conditions?

more so when I had the belt off, when I turned the fan to turn the water pump pulley it was squeaking. (unsure of last replacement of water pump. though it probably would just be a good idea. not leaking any coolant from weep hole though).

I'd hate to dump money on a tensioner or anything I wouldn't need so any advice or imput is appreciated. Thanks!

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
mine does the same thing. i eventually said screw it, since belt isnt gonna rip and f my engine up ill deal with it. plus it goes away after engine warms up. Yes it is alot louder of a squeel in the rain. have you done a REALLY LIGHT spray of wd40 on belt? that helps sometimes... but not too much..

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Misaligned serp belt tensioners are common on the 3.0 engine, so with your belt on put a straight edge on your tensioner pulley and check it's alignment in relation to your crank pulley. If it's out of alignment then you've found your squeal problem, and you can either shim your tensioner into alignment or else buy a new one. But be aware that a new tensioner does not guaranty proper alignment, and you might still have to shim it.

Macneilrider87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the replies. Mccormack, you say out of alignment I looked quick and seen the belt around the tensioner pulley isn't really around it right. the belt rides more towards the radiator than centered, almost looking like it may just fall off. is this it? also you say to shim it then. If I understand you correctly are you saying to take off the pulley and put a thin washer behind the pulley on that "shoulder" thing if you will that the bearing rides on? thanks again hopefully I can get to the bottom of this annoying squeal!!

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Checking with a straight edge (I use a two foot long metal ruler) is the only accurate way to know for sure if your tensioner is out of alignment or not.

In order to shim you've got to take the tensioner assembly off and make yourself some thin washers from some sheet stock and hang the washer(s) on the tensioner's locating peg, then reinstall the tensioner and the belt and recheck for alignment. It's a trial-and-error process. I shimmed my tensioner 7 or 8 years ago and have never had another belt squealing problem since.

bg@f.ord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Common issue since "fan belts" were first used.

But often forgotten is the "glazing" that happens on the pulleys when there is squealing.
The slipping of the belt causes pulley to get a glaze in it, which promotes more squealing and even with a new belt you still have the glazing so ..........squealing, lol.

Remove belt(s) and use a scotchbrite pad or similar to rough up the pulleys, de-glaze them
Friction is your friend in this case, squealing is a lack of friction.

01b3000ds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Thank You!

RonD, You rocked my casbah with this tip. Cheers!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals