• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What to do with girlfriends Accord..

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
So my girlfriend has an '03 Accord, she bought it 2 years before we met. She got it with 94k on the clock, then as is the case with just about every Honda with a v6 and an automatic, she had the transmission rebuilt at about 105k, she spent $3g on that. She drives A LOT, and the car now has 205k. It has some minor problems, but is a good car and gets great MPG for as much power as it has. The transmission is starting to show signs that its going to need another rebuild soon (pump is whining). I figure I can get the trans rebuilt again for a lot less than what she paid the first time. Thing is, I'm not sure what I should do. Should I just get the trans rebuilt when it goes out? Should I off it when the trans goes out again? Should we off it now? She doesn't exactly have the funds to buy another car right now, and I can't exactly afford another payment on top of my truck. This would be a much easier decision if the car didn't have 205k, although being a Honda I know its good for at least another 100 with regular maintenance. Opinions?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, you know that you think the trans is about to go, so start saving now to have it rebuilt when it does give up the ghost.

I agree, that engine should make it through at least one more trans, which gives you the opportunity to save up to replace the vehicle. As long as the body is sound just fix it.

Even if you are just setting aside $20 from every pay check to not touch until she needs a car you should be in pretty good shape in another 100K miles.

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
What overall condition is the car in? If you can't afford payments on another vehicle how can you afford another $3k in a transmission rebuild? Yes its a Honda the engine will still be running after the rest of the car has fallen a part but their automatic transmissions are known for not living long. At that point I'd just get rid of it before it blows up and use that money to get a good used car but don't get another honda with an automatic LOL.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Quarters are getting rusty, it will need a drivers door eventually since the window frame is rotting (I don't get it but it's common apparently).. back light on the radio went out (common), abs module is bad (common).. underneath the car is great, no rust in the spots that matter and the suspension is great. Tires have about 45k on them but they have alot of tread left. Other than the minor stuff it's great.

I can afford another rebuild, it definitely won't be 3k because I have connections lol. But is it worth it?

Last edited:

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If She can't afford a car then she shouldn't be driving. It's really that simple.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Quarters are getting rusty, it will need a drivers door eventually since the window frame is rotting (I don't get it but it's common apparently).. back light on the radio went out (common), abs module is bad (common).. underneath the car is great, no rust in the spots that matter and the suspension is great. Tires have about 45k on them but they have alot of tread left. Other than the minor stuff it's great.

I can afford another rebuild, it definitely won't be 3k because I have connections lol. But is it worth it?
Its been rebuilt once, so I doubt it would be worth it again really. I'd really dump it and go pick up a good used car rather than wasting money on another iffy transmission rebuild. That many miles on the car its time to look elsewhere rather than pouring thousands of dollars into a transmission rebuild again.

Road Angels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
There are low mileage japanese places that sell low mileage trans, and engines for cheap with a warranty, in japan depending on yen value of the car, the accords have to be turned in at about 30k they are dismantled and the drive trains are shipped over here, you will have to swap the emissions over to usa standards check the net for places in your area, I have done a bunch with zero problems, some even give you new seals and gaskets with the units

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
I see in your sig line you have a "'13 F-150 Ecoboost 4x4 daily driver"

Take that truck... and park it on top of the honda! then take some really good photos
and post them on here for all of us to admire!

(It would probably work better if you let your girlfriend drive the truck onto the Honda being it is her car anyway)

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I second what road angel said. Just google search for jdm transmissions, find the one you need, then probably jump on a Honda forum and double check with those guys that it won't need any modding.

At that point you can compare prices between buying a jdm one or just rebuilding yours. Also keep in mind that over there in Japan they're well aware they don't get to put a lot of miles on their cars so they have a tendency to drive them hard.

If the car doesn't show any signs of catastrophic failure in the near future you might as well hang on to it instead of buying a new one.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8 using Tapatalk

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I see in your sig line you have a "'13 F-150 Ecoboost 4x4 daily driver"

Take that truck... and park it on top of the honda! then take some really good photos
and post them on here for all of us to admire!

(It would probably work better if you let your girlfriend drive the truck onto the Honda being it is her car anyway)
Shit I had to repaint half the damn car when I hit a deer with it a couple years ago, I couldn't bring myself to do that lol.

If She can't afford a car then she shouldn't be driving. It's really that simple.
She pays half the mortgage on our house and a couple of the bills, which she refuses to let me take over, she's stubborn about it for whatever reason.

Its been rebuilt once, so I doubt it would be worth it again really. I'd really dump it and go pick up a good used car rather than wasting money on another iffy transmission rebuild. That many miles on the car its time to look elsewhere rather than pouring thousands of dollars into a transmission rebuild again.
Apparently her uncle still has the 94 5 spd accord she drove while it was down the first time. We may look into seeing if that's worth picking up again for a while. I could also fix the starter in my Jeep and let her take the truck for a while. We're just gonna have to weigh our options I guess.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Turn it into racecar.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
My secretary drives a Civic 5 speed with about 260k on the clock. New head gasket a while ago but it runs fine.
Assuming you can get the tranny rebuilt for a little less this time, you're still looking at around $2000. Could you buy a newer and lower mile car for $2000 to $2500? Yes. Otherwise you're dropping $2k into a car that isn't worth half that much, although as mentioned, if the body is good then mechanical stuff is replaceable. If it's me I get another car. That's kinda where my daughter was with her Jeep. Needed a bunch of money to make it right, plus the mpg was bad so she got a new Fiesta and isn't out of pocket any more money with a car payment than she was spending on two tanks of gas a week in the Jeep. Her Fiesta payment is $234 a month. So a new tranny would cost a little less than one year of payments on a new car. Just sayin'.
$0.02. :icon_cheers:

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Did you know that Honda, spelled backwards, is Adnoh?

I guess it depends on the "sentimental value" this car has to your gf...some people just can't pry themselves away from a money pit (ahem, that's why I still have my Ranger) but love them so much that they'd spend, spend, spend to keep it...

I'd take the advice of Johnny O and move on up to something a bit better...but, as this advice only applies to years ending in an even number, you've got about a year to decide...possibly...

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
find a low mileage tranny from a salvage yard and swap it out. I've had great luck on www.car-part.com -so far, anyway.

fyre82

Firefighter
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
9" on the 2000, 6" on the '88
Tire Size
265/75/16, 31x10.50x15
My credo
The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime
I look at economics, both in time and money.

A self install of a good used or rebuilt trans will save you big if you can do the work, ability, space, tools etc. If the car is worth it.

Sell it running, or drive it until it dies and scrap it then take that + what you say you have for repairs and buy something safe, reliable and economical.

Ask her how she feels about it, that is more important in the long term.

Good luck
Rich

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals