• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Ford Ranger 4.0 major electrical issues

gpmiller78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 body, fram
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0sohc
Transmission
Manual
Guys,

I need help. I just picked up a 2000 ford ranger ext cab xlt. it has the 4.0 with automatic. Got it cheap due to supposedly had bad motor. Put a new battery in and the thing went hay wire. Horn came on along with abs pump, cruise control relay, and parking lights. Also if you turn the key to on the wipers go on with the washer fluid pump. The crazy part is I disconnected the PCM and it still does it.

Thank you

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
"They" warned us about the Y2K virus back in 1999. Never new it would be delayed this long. :icon_twisted::icon_twisted: Sounds like a bizarre security system. Sorry I can't be helpful on this one.

gpmiller78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 body, fram
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0sohc
Transmission
Manual
Do you guys think the GEM or RAP modules could be causing these issues?

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Guys,

I need help. I just picked up a 2000 ford ranger ext cab xlt. it has the 4.0 with automatic. Got it cheap due to supposedly had bad motor. Put a new battery in and the thing went hay wire. Horn came on along with abs pump, cruise control relay, and parking lights. Also if you turn the key to on the wipers go on with the washer fluid pump. The crazy part is I disconnected the PCM and it still does it.

Thank you
That sounds rather wild.

I'm not very familiar yet with the electronic modules in the newer Rangers, but I'll throw out some theories. The parking lights (and presumably the headlights) and the horn would all be tied together with the anti-theft system, with a module. The ABS pump would be controlled by an ABS module. The wipers probably have a delay-module associated with them. The cruise control is a module as well.

Are all of the above-mentioned theoretical modules combined into a single physical module? If so, that's far-and-away the most likely suspect.

If there are a few separate modules involved, then I'd be much less likely to suspect individual modules or the communication system between them, unless the vehicle has been struck by lightning or something. At that point I'd start inspecting the wiring harnesses in the engine bay and under the dash for modifications or damage. Also look for evidence of flood damage at that time (but I'd expect flood damage to result in non-functioning systems, not over-functioning systems).

I wouldn't be too surprised to find an aftermarket anti-theft or remote-start system in there somewhere, or even a stereo system, that looks (and works) as if it were installed by a blind man wielding a hatchet.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Have you checked to make sure the battery is connected correctly?

HER2702

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
Did you by chance run a Carfax on the truck? Not plugging for them or anything but, after 3 major hurricanes with flooding in more than 2 states I am very leery of any 'great deals' on any late(?) model vehicle.

The problems you describe sound an awful lot like water logged or corroded modules and/or wiring. Once a vehicle has been submerged the only way even possible to salvage it without nightmarish issues down the road is to strip it to the bare chassis. Rip out ALL the electrical/electronic components & wiring, rip out ALL shreds of the interior and any insulation or padding and throw it all away. Pull the engine, transmission, and axle(s) and have them gone through completely, have the chassis and body completely cleaned and treated for rust and corrosion and THEN put the truck back together with all new parts. Anything short of that and you can count on rust, corrosion, mold, mildew and God only knows what else down the road. And that is not a total guarantee that it might not happen anyway.
Doesn't make that "good deal " quite so good does it?

Just something to think about. Personally I'd check the wiring and connections for corrosion and work from there. Best of luck to you my friend.

gpmiller78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 body, fram
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0sohc
Transmission
Manual
Thanks everyone for the replies. Turned out I was half retarded. I put a new battery in the truck not realizing that the battery was manufactured backwards. So I had the terminals crossed. Realized it when I got the volt meter out and kept reading negative voltage. :pissedoff::pissedoff::pissedoff:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals