• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil pressure and Water temp

CraKel

February 2010 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.OH
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, been reading on here and other ranger forums and have found a few different answers to the colour of the oem wiring for these gauges.

Installed a 79' 302 and trying to hook up water temp and oil pressure switch gauges. Can someone please give me some factual information on wire colours so I can hook these up to the stock gauges from the wiring harnesses located on driver side fender.

Ive read that water temp is black w light blue and oil pressure is either green w white or white with red..
I assume these are probably on the same connector ya? I think I found one thats white with pink but it didnt read anything when i hooked it up. Gonna use a voltmeter across them with key in accesory this weekend but just wanna make sure I get the right ones rather than splicing up 20 or so wires from the harness.

I think theres 2 black connectors and 1 grey connector.. is there a bundle that just has all gauges wires, cause that would actually make this alot easier haha.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm looking at a 93 Ranger schematic,

Coolant temp sender wire is R/W (red wire with a white stripe)

Oil Pressure SWITCH uses W/R (White wire with a red stripe). Your V8's sender may be an actual sender. You could mod the dash gage to make that work or install the Ranger switch sender, which simply provides a ground to make the fake gage read mid-scale.

CraKel

February 2010 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.OH
Transmission
Automatic
Ok great.. How would i go about mod'ing the dash gauge? I picked up a new oil pressure switch from napa. Not sure what its off of. Some ford no doubt but i needed a small one with 1/4" thread and this one is for light or gauge. I got one that was just for gauge but the housing was too big and it woundt fit in the hole because it was hitting the heads on the block. Its got an old style of connector on the top of it but with the right electrical connector it should work fine just as my coil does.

Are both the oil pressure n temp wires on the same bundle? I believe the numbers are c197 and c177? Any chance you could link me to a schematic? Thanks

Last edited:

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can e-mail you the schematics (for 93).

PM me your e-mail adrress.

If your sender is for "light or gage", then it should work.

Link to oil pressure gage mod: http://rogueperformance.com/oilsw.html

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals