• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Installing key in ignition warning chime

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Has anyone installed a key in the ignition warning chime into a 93-94 ranger?

I ask because I keep locking my keys in the truck :bawling: and it is getting annoying and I'm wonder what needs to be done to install one. Is there a retrofit kit for this, do I have to swap out the steering column or what?

I do know it will require a new lock cylinder, a different plug for the back of it, the chime itself a few wires to the chime but is is possible and make it look stock from the interior?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The thing about the warning chime for keys, or headlights, is that you get used to it and still forget :)

I would look at 3rd party Keyless entry kits
Denisefwd93 posted a kit with 4 power door locks, controller and 2 fobs for $30 price tag
Leave the fob in your pocket don't use it as key ring :)
Or your back in the same boat, lol
Just a thought

You could also just do a Door Open chime, using drivers door plunger, it would be easier to wire in and be the same "take your keys" reminder

Last edited:

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Don’t be too embarrassed. I’ve gotten so accustomed to having a vehicle that warns me when I leave the lights on that I’ve accidentally failed to turn them off in my ’92 Ranger several times at work. They were on all day and killed the battery once (got a jump from a beautiful co-worker though, so it wasn’t the end of the world - lol). I thought about installing a door ajar alarm as RonD suggests, but I hate having one on my car and just assumed i’d get used to hearing it and not make the connection in my head to check the lights. If you don’t find a better solution and don’t park in really bad areas, you could always leave your sliding rear window closed by unlatched (if you have one) and put one of those hide-a-key boxes inside the cab within reach of the slider. Just a thought. Not ideal, I know, but maybe better than having to call a locksmith or bust a window out.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There should have been one factory installed. Going all the way back to my 78 Olds I have never owned a vehicle that didn't have that feature.

Are you sure it isn't there and just worn out? I know the lock in my B2 is worn out so bad that even the key-in warning barely works.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My 1994 doesn't have it.
XLT, 4.0l, manual, 4x4, power group

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If my ’92 has it, then it certainly doesn’t work. Don’t remember my ’83 having it either.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
I looked in the manual last night and the only warning chimes are for the headlights, darn need to look up the other lol, Oh safety belt in my 94. I did see the 4 door KES before I came back here to this thread and was considering it but this leads to more questions. I do not have power windows or locks so would there be any other hardware needed to be purchased to add that kit?

As a temporary solution I hid a key in the bed but I have a tonneau cover to help hide it and I don't feel safe with it back there. As for the back window thing, I have a bad hip and climbing into the bed is difficult and I seem to lock my keys in it at least once a month. Not to mention I'm a prime target for a break in due to my stereo system.

On a not so serious note, I think it would be hilarious to put a KES in and not tell my daughter and keep locking the door on her. :icon_rofl:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a key in my wallet, no money..........but I GOT A KEY :)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Huh. My 87 and 88 both have it.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Hmm maybe Ford in there infinite wisdom removed it for a few years then realized customers liked it and put it back in.

How different is the lock cylinder and column wiring from 87-88 to 93-94? Thinking of if it is possible to do some rewiring and swap to an older lock cylinder.

James truckan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Has anyone installed a key in the ignition warning chime into a 93-94 ranger?

I ask because I keep locking my keys in the truck :bawling: and it is getting annoying and I'm wonder what needs to be done to install one. Is there a retrofit kit for this, do I have to swap out the steering column or what?

I do know it will require a new lock cylinder, a different plug for the back of it, the chime itself a few wires to the chime but is is possible and make it look stock from the interior?
Mine was broken not sure if that's what's been causing my short but it's not hard to put in mine a 1993

James truckan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1993 and the buzzer clip was broken can't find it anywhere have to go to salvage yard mine has one wire I am not sure is that's been causing my short battery drains fast eBay has some check it out.

James truckan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1993 and the buzzer clip was broken can't find it anywhere have to go to salvage yard mine has one wire I am not sure is that's been causing my short battery drains fast eBay has some check it out.
You have to take off clam shell and tack out lock cylinder and it should slide out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals