• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing the insturment cluster on a 2007 Ranger

rdsrds123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello, I need to replace the instrument cluster on my 2007 Ranger. It has a tach.
I contacted a place called the instrument cluster store and they have one. However, they say that it is not a simple plug in procedure, and that it needs to go to a dealer to do this. Is this so, and is there some way around this? thanks!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, no way around it.

2004 and up used digital instrument cluster that is part of the PATS(passive anti-theft system).
The computer that runs the engine will not turn on fuel pump or fuel injectors if key or instrument cluster do not "check out"
Starter Motor is also disabled but that can be "fixed", but no way around no fuel

Cluster has a digital signature that was programmed into the computer when vehicle was assembled, new clusters signature needs to be added to computer, and thats a dealer thing.

You can drive it to the dealer swap dashes, then let them reprogram it, then reassemble everything at home.

BUT..................digital odometer can be an issue, check with the dealer, they may say NO.
Installing a used cluster with LESS miles is illegal, not sure about MORE miles.
Ford dealers order replacement clusters with vehicles miles preprogrammed, not even dealers can do "roll backs" or adjust digital odometers.

rdsrds123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Wsljr2208

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My ranger is an 04 im not sure about having to reprogram the comp to talk to the cluster but i do know that the mileage comes from the ecu not the digital odometer so if its used as far as milage goes doesnt matter

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals