• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DIY RPM tachometer

Carrotzombie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just want to start off with I am not a car guy but, I am trying to learn a little bit just for a project I kinda want to do. I own a 93 Ford Ranger (v6 3.0L) and I would like to get/make a tachometer for it. Mainly because I haven't seen a small tach dial I like or that isn't too expensive.
My plan is to use a arduino or raspberry-pi, which would display to a small screen or incremental LED indicator. I'm trying to find out if i should pull the signal off of the ICM(tan-yellow stripe) or ECU(white-pink stripe)? From my knowledge the signal from the ECUs tach output should be a square wave that increases its frequency with rpm.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

white-pink stripe wire's signal comes from the TFI module(ICM) and goes TO the computer, but yes it is a digital pulse signal vs the analog Coil Driver wire(tan-yellow stripe) signal

You can also use any spark plug wires inductance to generate the pulse you need, this would make it easier to move it to the next vehicle, assuming it wasn't a diesel engine :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals