• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No electrical power at all unless disconecting battery ?

mixwell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey my 2001 3.0 ranger recently has no power at all when I went out to start it so I disconnected the battery for a few minutes and reconnected it and the dome light works and I have juice until I go to crank it all the power is killed again.

The posts are clean and there is no corrosion around the terminals, I had my friend check it out and use his volt meter but he couldn't find out specifically what is causing this issue. Has anyone had this similar situation or any input ?

Thank you :dunno:

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
termnals are not tight, is there any corrosion in the wire?

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Is the battery dead by chance? Sounds like the batter has no power and when you go to crank it it sap what power is left for the dome light. Batteries gain a little power sometimes when they are left for a minute or 2. does it do the same thing if you just turn it off and leave it for like 5 minutes?

mixwell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the replies.. my terminals aren't corroded and the connection is tight.. In reply to the bat being dead that could be but it's a little over a year old BUT i am running an amp and 2 12" subs which may be overloading the alternator and taking juice from the battery but other than that i have no idea.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
check your battery ground, and wherever the positive wire from your battery connects... if those or loose it will cause this issue...

i ran 2 10's and a 12, on a clarion amp, that i was told by the clarion rep is "more powerful than anything i've got in any of my show trucks" on the stock alternator for my 89 mustang, for about 3 years... had the 12 in there with the same amp for about 6 years... no battery issues...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals