• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Homemade hitch

woofer2609

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
DOHC 2.3
Transmission
Manual
U-haul sells and installs them pretty inexpensive, and fast. I had one put on a Ford Focus 3 years ago, no problems.

khast2010

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
ya you guys made very good points. Guess just better to spend the buck, (haha not something a cheap-o like me wants to hear)

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
ya you guys made very good points. Guess just better to spend the buck, (haha not something a cheap-o like me wants to hear)
+1.....:yahoo: Sometimes I need the advice of others to make a smart choice.....Most times I just do it my way and make it cost twice as much.:icon_cheers:

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
+1.....:yahoo: Sometimes I need the advice of others to make a smart choice.....Most times I just do it my way and make it cost twice as much.:icon_cheers:
Been there, done that. Then had to do it again 'cause I f-ed it up the first time. :icon_rofl:

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Had a guy come into work to pick up a trailer he bought. Said he made his own hitch and he just bought a welder yesterday to do it. It was on a Volvo Wagon...

Anyway, we hook the trailer to it and he pulls it around the parking lot to check the brakes...good thing he did cause the hitch fell apart and the trailer dropped to the ground.

He had to take the car to a welding shop and have one made for it.

So yea, don't be so cheap, but one.

leviticus2629

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I fabbed a hitch receiver for a co-worker, what we did was order a hitch kit ( after checking what the return policy was) and traced it out exactly. I then welded it up in the exact same way. Then we returned the one they had sent us. It has been close to a year and holding strong, while I am sure it has been overloaded a couple times :icon_twisted: I am ticketed though, so that does help with the confidence required to weld something like that up.

slowleak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've welded up many hitches over the years. But I got lucky on my one truck and picked one up on Ebay for $38 shipped. I've since copied that hitch for four other trucks.
For the amount of weight most Rangers will ever tow, its pretty easy to fab up a suitable hitch.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals