• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Noise when shifting from Reverse to Drive...

jp887

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My 97 Ranger 4x4 (4.0 L) is making a metallic "ting" noise when shifting between reverse and drive (automatic transmission). Its one of those annoying things that doesn't happen all the time but seems to be getting more frequent. It often happens as I pull away, not always immediately when the gear first engages. Best I can tell is that it is coming from around the middle of the truck somewhere and it seems to happen more frequently if I stop on a hill.

I know my centre support bearing for the driveshaft needs replacing and is causing the shaft to shake a little at certain speeds. Could this metallic noise be related to the support bearing? I thought this was unlikely because although the rubber around the bearing is worn it doesn't look so worn that metal is touching metal yet, but it does allow for some lateral movement in the driveshaft.

I also noticed that the rear differential case moves a bit when shifting from Reverse to Drive (rotates around the rear axel a small amount). Is it normal for the diff case to move a little like this or could this be part of the problem? I don't think the noise is coming from the diff but was surprised to see it moving when I looked under the truck while someone shifted the transmission.

Any thoughts/advice much appreciated... hopefully I don't need a new transmission ;)

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You need to go get some teflon grease and grease up the center slip joint of the drive shaft.

jp887

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Nice, thanks for that. I just read up about this and it certainly seems to be a common cause for drive shaft noise. I'll give that a go and see if it fixes the noise.
Sorry for the rookie question but is the movement in the rear diff normal?

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
A bit of play in the rear diff is normal.

Have a check of your U-Joints while under it doing the grease bit. Block the front tires and put the back end on a set of jack stands. Transmission to neutral and move the drive shaft back/forth. That should help isolate the sound.

S-

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yes. The diff has to have some play in it to work. If you set it to zero backlash (the amount of play between the ring and pinion gears) the diff locks up because of the shape of the gear teeth.

jp887

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals