• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

retaining AC question... 5.0 EFI to 88 Bronco II

surratt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ok so i did a swap years ago on my 88 bronco 2 with a 5.0 from an 88-93 mustang. I had no interest in retaining the AC at the time so I mangled the box up where the evap lines came out. This time Id like to keep it but the way the intake is designed the throttle body comes straight out and i have no choice.

My question is can i swap the intake from the explorers where the throttle body is curved to 90 degrees, that would solve my problem. Any ideas are appreciated

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Yes it would solve the problem, and u should have to swap the entire intake just the curve part in.

Sent from outer space.

surratt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ok so I can just swap the throttle body? Im assuming the egr and everything associated will plug and play with my current harness and connectors?

surratt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
also what models should i be looking for that throttle body for and years...there a few you pick it yards here so maybe i can get lucky and find one. If I find the intake as well isnt there a performance benefit over the stock 88-93 intake?

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
The lower intake is for the gt40 heads which flow amazingly for oem. So yes if you want you can swap all the intake but may need the new heads. U may be able to get away with just the upper intake being swaped. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in

Sent from outer space.

surratt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
yeah if i get lucky enough to find the heads and intake together ill take it but i doubt i will. My main question is will the curved throttle body work with the old style intake

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Truthfully i dont know. Never had the old style intake. Ive seen aftermarket one i think on summit. Try compairing the gaskets

Sent from outer space.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
You can take the 90* throttle body adapter and throttle body and bolt it on your upper plenum. You can take the GT40 upper and lower intake and bolt it to your stock block & heads. You're good either way...

SVT

surratt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You can take the 90* throttle body adapter and throttle body and bolt it on your upper plenum. You can take the GT40 upper and lower intake and bolt it to your stock block & heads. You're good either way...

SVT
what about flipping the intake in the opposite direction that would fix my clearance issues with the AC duct box. Ive seen pictures of the intakes in the opposite direction

surratt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i guess my best best is to locate an explorer intake with the 90 degree throttle body. can i just use the upper part of that intake and if not will the lower portion of it fit to my heads?

surratt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
also the adaptor thing confuses me. My goal is to retain the stock throttle body, if i buy an adaptor that will mount to my stock intake and accept my stock throttle body?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
You can flip the upper plenum to the other direction, but will have to extend the wiring to reach, egr will need to be rerouted if you're using it. The adapter will bolt to the stock throtyle body, but the explorer throttle body is larger. The explorer upper plenum (GT40) will not fit a stock non GT40 lower, different ports between upper & lower, but bolt pattern is same...

SVT

surratt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You can flip the upper plenum to the other direction, but will have to extend the wiring to reach, egr will need to be rerouted if you're using it. The adapter will bolt to the stock throtyle body, but the explorer throttle body is larger. The explorer upper plenum (GT40) will not fit a stock non GT40 lower, different ports between upper & lower, but bolt pattern is same...

SVT
ok so if i can find an explorer intake that will fix my ac issue....will the GT40 style intake runners fit the intake runners of my non gt40 heads.......if they do fit ill just call it a day and search for the explorer intake

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, the GT40 intake will fit stock heads as well as the GT40 and GT40P heads...

SVT

surratt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, the GT40 intake will fit stock heads as well as the GT40 and GT40P heads...

SVT
awesome ...as long as i can get the egr and coonnectors to work ill be right as rain
'

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals