• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tire swing gate

Bampity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Credo?
Post relevant even if thread is dated.

Nice bump.

I hope we can get more discussion on the tire swing itself.

I had one on a B2 that I sold. Stock size wheels and tires all around.
Rackety noisey thing hanging off the back of the truck.

Then I bought another B2 that had one, doesn't anymore, all that's left on the truck are the rear quarter brackets but I found another tire swing, with a stock spare, for $15 at a pull it lot.

First question...

How do I get these hinge pins out? I pulled the C-clips and tried hammering them out but no luck. Fire on the hinge? I don't want to replace the body mounted hinge if I don't have to.
They've been on the truck for 30 years so I think its best I keep them there.

Nextly, the spare was locked on with a lug lock so I had to heat it up to twist it off with a set of 460 Channel Locks. I trashed the plastic hub cover but I wasn't going to use the spare anyway... until I didn't feel like rolling the wheel inside last night and leaving it outside would ensure it being stolen. The point was to not let it be "fair game" because I might want it, it was late and I was too lazy to roll it inside and I didn't want it taking up the space it was taking inside the truck.

So I just did this in the dark...

I wake up, I see this and I kind of like it.
It's just setting there but I might fab up something to make it permanent.
Maybe utilizing the bracket from the tire swing.

After reading the original tire swing isn't a good idea for larger tires, I was considering the more involved or expensive route of the rear bumper mounted tire swing until I accidentally the front bumper.

That leaves me with the tire swing unoccupied but I want it to have a job.

For the rear swing, I want a tool box, gas can and jack.
Which leads to my final question, How much weight would you guys say is the limit for the rear swing? Do you think a tool box, full gas can and jack would be too much?

Phantom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would rethink about placing that tire in the front of the grill, you are going to be blocking a lot of air flow through your radiator with that tire placed there. I would want as much air flow through the radiator as possible. Just my thoughts.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I would rethink about placing that tire in the front of the grill, you are going to be blocking a lot of air flow through your radiator with that tire placed there. I would want as much air flow through the radiator as possible. Just my thoughts.

^^^ Plus 3 on that, Bro!!! The tire can also be mounted on that huge rack. Lots of storage up there. Most people run them on their roof racks anyway. IN case of a front end collision that tire might break loose and smack into the windshield or across the hood and do some serious bouncing.

Bampity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Credo?
Lol. Ok. Glad I hadn't done it yet...

The top is an idea but I don't really want the rack up there if I'm just beatin about.

Thanks for the input.

Bampity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Credo?
i swear ive seen that el camino before..
:D
Lol, its like its own character, hard to forget.

It appears we are on diiferent parts of the country.
Much farther than I or its current owner have taken it.
Maybe the previous...?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals