• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

"Mini Me" Low COG B2 Crawler/Jumper Build

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
I obtained a Bronco 2 about a year ago with 40" Iroks on it. I was running a modified TTB long travel Ranger on 35s and bought the B2 for the tires. I ran the Ranger for about a year on a Dana 35 TTB and 8.8 Rear with Lockers front and rear and 4.56 gears on 40" IROKs with no issues. Well the Ranger body got quite destroyed in a few roll overs and tree encounters and I wanted something with more room. So hence Bronco 2.

The B2 is a 1988 1st Gen. The Parts list is:

Engine - 2.9 6cyl (Until it blows then FI 5.0)
Trans - C5 fully rebuilt with all new C4 internals, and Reverse Manual VB (With a chance of bellhousing it will fit a 5.0)
Tcase - Doubler 1350/1354
Body - Comp Cut with Exo Cage.
Front Axle - Dana 35 TTB, Trussed, Clearanced, 4.56 Gears, Lockrite Locker, Warn Jeep Hubs (Indestructible per Warn), Moog Joints, Stretched 6.5" forward and each beam is stretched 0.5" for an additional width of 1" overall.
Rear Axle - 28 Spline 8.8, Detroit Locker, 4.56, Truss, Stretched 8".
Suspension - Front: 12" King 2.5" Coilovers. 2" Bump-Stops (Dont know what brand yet)
Rear: 14" King 2.5" Coilovers and 4 link. 4" Fox Bump Stops
Wheels and Tires - 15x10" Steel wheels with Custom MKFab Beadlocks and 39.5x13.5x15 IROKS

The body is comp cut for clearance of the tires on articulation. I believe this will be the first Stretched TTB build ive seen not using a tube chassis and using the stock frame. Overall Stretch is 6.5" front and 8" rear for and overall wheel base of 108.5".

How it sat in my yard for the last year.

The "Mini Me" is based off the Mega truck I built the last two years that a buddy of mine owns.

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
This was the ranger that all the axles and components are coming off of

Every year I take a week off work, the week of presidents day to build a project. For the last 2 years its been our mega truck bronco that this Bronco 2 is the "mini me" of. So the first day of "Hell Week" we tore apart the ranger.

We then pulled in the Bronco 2 and torched off all the stuff we no longer needed. My next step was to create my own Driver TTB beam bracket. I found the stock bracket was 5.5" roughly off the frame.

The lift that was on the bronco 2 was one I had never seen before, this piece slips inside the stock bracket and gives you a 3" and a 5" drop.

I measured the 6.5" drop bracket I had on the ranger and it verified that the stock was about 5.5" from top bolt to mounting hole.

Next for the passenger drop bracket, we took the plate drop along with the stock bracket and moved it 6.5" to the other side of the front cross member. Along with moving it we shifted it toward the passenger side 0.5". I will have to modify this bracket for full bump in the future, but its a good starting point.

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual

Since I have a cnc plasma, I took some measurements off the stock mounting location of the driver beam bracket and quickly CAD'd up one that is made for a 3.5" lift and is pushed toward the driver side 0.5".

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
After tacking on the front bracket I moved on to the rear, I started by welding on the Artec truss Ive had sitting around for years.

Heres a quick picture of the C5 mated to the 1350/1354 doubler. The C5 was sent out to my friends shop (Mount Holly Transmissions in Pemberton, NJ) to be rebuilt with all c4 parts and a c4 reverse manual valve body.

After installing the trans and t case and placing it where I wanted it, I started with the 4 link mock up in the rear. I was going for about 100% Anti Squat.

This is where I thought I was going to use as ride height.

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual

Everything is tacked welded together and set how I want it, time to build the link bars.

I had to make custom upper links on the frame to make it so a nut could fit between the bracket and the frame plating. I decided to test out the new press brake I got from Swag Offroad too.

Then I realized, Oh crap, I cant pull the trans and t case as one with this new cross member, can I still remove the t case? Thankfully I could with ease.

Link Bars done, I used 1.25" lower heims and 7/8" uppers, I had the 7/8 floating around and figured they would be fine for a light rig, I can always upgrade later.

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual

Pinion Change is very minor as the bars are very close in length.

Next we started cutting out the inner fenders and the side of the B2 for the comp cut, later I will be going back and making a piece for the front of this area to fill it in.

I started making brackets and mounting the coilovers, I realized that the frame had to be notched, also a buddy of mine has done this before and he had to notch his to avoid the tires hitting the coilovers.

Heres a quick plate I made and I will come back and add top and bottom braces to to notch the frame.

With the frame notched, the coilover fit a lot better and we were almost able to get full articulation, but the body was hitting the tires.

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual

So far I have one side mocked up, I was only able to get 2" of up travel because the coilovers I am using for mock up have foam bumps on the shaft. Any more than this 2" of up travel and I will be hitting the body with the tires. I need to get some 2" spacers for the wheels so that I can push the tire farther from the body. I am already running 15x10 wheels with 3.75" backspacing. I will replicate this on the other side and try various suspension positions to see how everything works. I will be leaving everything tacked together till I get the information together for my spring rates on the kings ill be buying.

Last edited by a moderator:

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
Friggin Awesome.....:yahoo:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looking forward to the end result!

Could you check your pic size, some are twice what is needed and makes for a lot of side scrolling to read your post.

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
Looking forward to the end result!

Could you check your pic size, some are twice what is needed and makes for a lot of side scrolling to read your post.
Yea they are off my phone, would be a lot of photos to resize haha. its any photo I took with my phone sideways it appears.

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
making the rounds.:D

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Damn. I want to hang out in your shop. Grab a pizza and some beer, and sit back and watch the creativity :icon_welder:

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
Damn. I want to hang out in your shop. Grab a pizza and some beer, and sit back and watch the creativity :icon_welder:
Cmon by! Most likely a little out of your way haha.

Im sitting here on nights at work for my normal job and saw who just commented on my post, im honored, haha.

This damn shop is a mess right now after tearing apart two vehicles covered in mud without washing them first. Plus all the parts from the ranger are scattered.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
If the shop was clean, I'd think you wasn't working hard enough.

I was probably pretty close on one of my trips to Ocean City. I know on one of the trips, I went north through Delaware after I left.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals