• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 2.3L overheating

DieselDude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I have a 2.3L, trying to figure out why she's overheating... I've read exactly what I'm posting now just can't remember where anymore. The upper radiator hose is burning hot, lower hose is cold. When I turn on the heat, temps drop to below normal operating temps. Code reader w/ live data was reading around 230. I'm really hoping I'm just looking at a clogged radiator and not a bad thermostat. Anybody have any ideas?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Unfortunately it reads like thermostat would be likely cause.

You have the 2.3l Duratec DOHC engine in an '02 Ranger
Thermostat and housing are one piece and located on the LOWER radiator hose.

Most engines have thermostat on Upper hose, so hot upper rad hose and cold lower hose would suggest clogged rad.
When thermostat is on lower hose then thermostat would be more likely than clogged rad.
And with this engine the thermostat is not an uncommon failure.

I would certainly run water thru rad once system is drained, just to be sure it isn't clogged, but I think it will be clear and thermostat will need to be changed.

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
the radiator is easy to test.
remove both hoses, put garden hose in top, see how much comes out the bottom.
since the heater reduces the temp, the water pump is probably ok.

FYI, the 2.3 being an over head cam, does not like severe overheating.
if the head warps both the head surface AND the cam saddles are out of alignment.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
user Soledad has some posts about overheat issues on the Duratec 2.3

DieselDude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just ran the engine to above normal and that radiator is still cool to the touch... I suppose first I'll dump out the coolant and like you said just try with a garden hose. So does anybody know if there's a way to test the stat outside of the vehicle with this stupid electronic stat?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The electric thermostats heat up electrically so wires connected to them are not for a sensor.
If possible check the 2 wires for voltage when key is on and look at the connector inside thermostat housing they can get fried, pictures here: https://www.2carpros.com/questions/ford-ranger-2002-ford-ranger-23l-4cy

This is a heating element so will draw some AMPs, I don't know where the fuse for it would be, should be in the manual.
But I would expect the computer to monitor this voltage and would turn on the CEL(check engine light) if there was no voltage.

Trouble with pulling this unit out for testing is that it requires alot of disassembly to get too, so almost better to just bite the bullet and get a new one since they are known to fail.

Yes it does need to be the electric one.

Soledad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Duratec
Transmission
Manual
I've got a few posts on this board and some other Ranger/Ford Truck boards regarding my overheating quest on my 2003 2.3L. Search for my username on them like pjtoledo noted above. These cooling systems are a bit more entailed than the older 2.3 Lima engines.

Oh and it is normal on these 2.3 Duratecs to have a hot upper hose and a cool to slightly warm bottom hose. It's the nature of the beast on these.

DieselDude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Unfortunately when I left school this spring I left my toolbox since I had no way of bringing it home and among the tools I left was my multimeter. BTW I took off the upper radiator hose and it just ripped so probably time for a replacement on that...

Soledad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Oh hey, check that long steel tube that the upper radiator hose connects to while you have the hose off. Mine was completely rusted out on the inside from the orginal owners cooling system neglect. If it is rusty on the inside it should absolutely be replaced.

DieselDude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah she looked a bit rusty on the inside. By the way, what kinda coolant should I be running in this? Guy at O'Reilly said the green stuff but I've heard otherwise on various sites.

Soledad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Ok yeah then I would definitley replace it if it's rusty. I believe the Motorcraft Part Number is RH91 and it's about $45. It's pretty easy to replace. Just use a ratchet strap to pull it off if it's really stuck in place.

As for the coolant, check this out:

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/quickref/coolantsEN.pdf

Model Year 2002 was a split year for coolant. If the truck had a build date before 7/15/2002 it uses green coolant. If the build date is after 7/15/2002 it uses gold coolant.

Also, in one of my older forum posts RonD (I believe it was RonD) had an excellent post on the differences between green, cold, universal and etc coolants. Definitely worth a read.

Last edited:

DieselDude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oh yeah I've read through your posts a few times and I believe I read about the differences as well. Truck says build 8/01 so must be green.

DieselDude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I've figured out that it is indeed the thermostat. If I fan figure out how to add images I will do so.

DieselDude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

DieselDude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
[/URL][/IMG]

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals