• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Amount of blow-by from oil fill cap question

Soledad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Duratec
Transmission
Manual
A few weeks ago I wanted to test blow-by on my 2003 2.3L. I started the engine, warmed it up and then removed the oil fill cap and placed it upside down on the hole. There was enough blow-by to blow the cap up but then it would suck it back down. It was doing it very quickly. I didn't do this for very long though because it was spitting oil out of the hole and starting to make a mess.

I've done this on a few other vehicles and the cap would just lay there with no oil spitting out. But on my wifes 2013 Santa Fe Turbo it does the same thing as my 2.3L.

Is this normal behavior for these higher compression Duratec's or should that oil cap just lay there without moving with no oil spitting out?

I've got a compression tester now but just have not had any time lately to test it due to work and family stuff.

Thanks!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That sounds unusual for that engine. It will run louder with the oil cap off, and it will spit oil, those are normal for OCH engines. But it shouldn't be blowing the cap around like that, IME.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not sure that would be a reasonable test for blow-by on an engine.

Crankcase ventilation usually has a vent hose connected to the air intake system and then often to the oil filler tube.
At idle vacuum is high so PCV valve is closed and vent hose is pulling out any positive pressure.
As engine RPM and load increases vacuum drops and PCV valve starts to open to actively pull in increased blow-by from the load.

A better test is to pull out dipstick, start engine
Use a piece of paper towel or toilet paper on the dip stick tube, should be held lightly in place, but hard to test on some engines because of the fan

Soledad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Ok thanks. I'll have to get a video of it and post it up here soon.

But, I know a compression test is what I really need to do. Just never seen a cap dance like this before.

PCV valve is new and vacuum at idle is a very solid 21in.Hg. Truck seems to run great other than a drop in performance once the engine is fully warmed up.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Compression is fine with 21" of vacuum

Soledad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Cool. Thanks RonD. That does put my mind at ease.

MrGiggles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Every DOHC 4 cyl that I've tried that on move a lot of air and blow oil around. All of which were healthy.

My 2.5 hardly moves any air, but that's a different animal, and I'm not sure if the PCV is working normally.

Soledad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Ok, thanks everybody for the responses! I'm just gonna call this a "DOHC thing" and move on to the next problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals