• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cam Question!!

RangerDangerr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I ordered a reman head from a company and when it got here, I'm pretty sure the cams are mixed up and on the wrong sides.

I'm pretty sure the intake cam is the one that has the little nub on the end, but they have it on the exhaust side. Does this mean that they machined everything to spec with the cams installed in the wrong location?

Not really sure what to do...

The lobes look the same so can I just switch them and be fine?

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Check around on the cams for markings. A lot of Ford DOHC cams will have an E or and I stamped in them somewhere to indicated if they are intake or exhaust.

RangerDangerr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check around on the cams for markings. A lot of Ford DOHC cams will have an E or and I stamped in them somewhere to indicated if they are intake or exhaust.

There are no markings like that, but I looked up the casting numbers on them and everything points to them being on the wrong sides.

One is a 6272 and the other is a 6274 a quick google search indicates they may have been installed wrong. Also re-manufactured heads on ebay show pictures with them installed differently.

So what are my options? Can I just switch them and be ok? or were these machined to spec with the cams wrong so the clearances and stuff will be off?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If the cam journals were machined at all they would need to have bearings put in them, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

The bigger concern and even this is not insurmountable, is making sure the clearance to the buckets is correct. The valve lash is adjusted on that engine with selective thicknesses of the buckets on top of the valves. Take a set of feeler gauges and check the current clearance between the cam lobe and valve bucket with the point of the lobe pointing straight up. Then swap the cams and check again. If they are fairly close, like .010" you should be OK. I have had to re-do a few of those heads and my clearances always come up out of spec, but the next shim in either direction will take it farther out of spec.

RangerDangerr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Swapped them, checked the clearances, they all are in spec according to alldata!

Should be good to go, thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals