• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Poor idle and stalling need Help/Ideas

Nate288

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Im working on a friends 2001 2WD 2.5L 5 Spd Ranger his fuel pump went out so i replaced the whole assembly along with the filter the truck will start however it runs and sounds like a tractor when I give it a good rev the engine sounds fine but when the RPM's return to the idle range the truck starts to die also the fuel gage isn't working after the new pump was put in what I've done so far checked the fuel pressure its @ 65psi at idle, changed the IAC, changes TPS, checked for vacuum leaks and is reading around 18inHg, oil and coolant are fine and are at a good level, ignition is fine and will be pulling the plugs out tomorrow and once i get the tool will do a compression test, cleaned the MAF, and no codes or CEL light. I'm running out of things to check and ides unless anyone else has some clue as to what my be going wrong here?

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I assume the truck was running fine prior to the fuel pump dying?

You should have a Low Fuel level warning light if fuel gauge is not working?

You have 65psi while engine is running, and it should stay above 50psi when engine is off.
It should hold pressure for months, not minutes, days or weeks........months
If pressure is dropping when fuel pump is off then you could have fuel leaking into engine cause rich mix.
This can be from a leaking injector or Pulse Damper vacuum hose(rear of fuel rail, check vacuum hose for fuel)

18" of vacuum is a bit low at sea level to 2,000ft, what is your altitude?

Nate288

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello thanks for the reply and no the truck was never really running right before the new pump but it was at least drive-able. We are right at sea level
and I'll recheck the fuel pressure when the truck is off and inspect the fuel rail

zolar1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
I too have poor idle but no stalling as of yet.

Things that affect idle are:

1) Fuel pressure (maybe clogged fuel filter, bad fuel pressure regulator)
2) Ignition coil - mine had 5 cracks and a hole in it!
3) Injectors
4) MAP sensor
5) MAF sensor
6) Spark plugs bad, worn out, wrong gap, wrong plugs, related other.
7) Spark plug wires.
8) Bad IMRC control valve if you have one
9) Bad EGR or EGR pipe or clogged EGR passage
10) Bad head/head gasket.
11) Bad Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor
12) Bad ground 'somewhere'
13) Bad battery/alternator
14) Bad PCM

A vacuum leak can cause problems with your symptoms as well.

Long list but probably more than I posted.

Z7What

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a 01 2.5L about 3 months ago and it was running like shit when i bought it. The issue was a few things. The check valve in the fuel pump was bad which was causing the fuel pressure to drop to zero within seconds of shutting the truck off. I ended up replacing just the pump. This helped the starting issue, the biggest help was replacing ALL 8 plugs with CORRECTLY GAP MOTORCRAFT PLUGS. There was 3 different brand plugs and not a single one of them were Motorcraft plugs, they also were gapped anywhere between .010 - .024 TO LARGE. After installing a new set of correctly gapped Motorcraft plugs and a set of wires the truck instantly was 100% better.

Wayne

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals