• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Kroussin 93 Explorer build

kroussinoffroad

October 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ferd
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well here the start of the build.

now
4.0 non-egr, m5od,1354M
77 HP44, 5.13 gears,open, Warn lockuts,, E.B. superflex springs, skyjacker shocks, poly front bumpstops, 1 ton steering,Ruff stuff frame side trac bar bracket, single "heckathorn" steering stabilizer rusty's "high clerance" long arm's (for xj d30) ballistic front spring/ link brackets , ballistic frame link mounts. custom trans x-member
9" rear 5.13 gears, grizz locker. factory explorer springs (SOA)and extended shackle (using copper head fab lengths) factory relocated shocks, housing drilled for fill/breather and drain plug.
custom front bumper, XRC8 winch,interior winch controls, vintage dick cepek offroad lights,
37x14 iroks on 15x 10 steel wheels
Cobra C.B. K40 antenna, jensen head unit, pioneer speakers, factory amp bypassed and removed using audio pipe jumper,
low beams stay on while high's on (moded using single relay)
ALL breathers ran to termination under hood using a left over "uni" air filter for "breather manifold"
computer relocated to above glove box.

I hope to start yankin the suspension out this weekend and makin room for a 44/9
still up in the air if i'm gonna swap in the m50d but will definately swap in the 1354m
planin on gettin some shorter coils than what is in the mazda but we'll see they will do for now.

now here she sits. definately some issues that need to be addressed but i'll post about them as I fix or undo them

FRNT

DSDE

not sure if i like the tint yet or not. i'll leave it for now and see

ENG

INT

Last edited:

kroussinoffroad

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ferd
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Cobbled wiring

just after leaving from picking it up i fliped the switch for the offroad light's and started the trip home roughly 150 miles). only made it a couple min's before the fuse poped. so i knew there was somthing up with it. after driving for bout 30 mins the light for the cd deck was sooo bright it started to give me a headache i went thru all the settings and couldnt find a way to dim it so i figured when i got it in the garage i'de check and see if there was an actuall illumination wire that they just had tied into the main power. also there were wire's strewn about from the "system" he had in there.

so last night (pre picture's) i yanked all the wire's for the system out since i dont plan on running any subs or anything like that. then i dug into the stereo and found no illumination wire but did find what follows

the good ole twist-n-tape HACKED into the factory wiring

after a couple connectors, some mastic heat shrink, zip ties, and spiral loom it looks much better and will be much more reliable

here is what the wiring for the offroad lights consisted of
yucka, gutted it all out but wont replace it until i have the front bumper built for the winch and what not

wire from the battery across the core support wire nutted to another.

ran down thru a rough drilled hole (no gromet- no fuse yet)

ran thru the switch and then into this glorious fuse

it then proceded to run back thru the fire wall to another wire nut (not pictured) that had 4 more wires going into it then ran to the light's in the same fashion as all the other wiring

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Subscribed. Can't wait.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Lol, wire nuts. I hope that guy didn't touch anything with the suspension or anything else that could come apart in a catastrophic manner.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I will say the engine looks super clean along with the rest of her.

I still say just leave the mazda alone and mod the exploder on its own or just throw the D30 back under the mazda (if its not already gone).

kroussinoffroad

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ferd
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
suspension and axles are completely out. should be sliding the 9 in tomorowthen i will have an idea of what need's to be done to clear the 37's if i'm lucky i should be able to get away with the spring over and a block or extended shackle. might even get around to sliding the front into place as well. i'm planing on running different springs, spring buckets and shocks than what was on the truck but we will see. i will also be running a sway bar as well to improve the road manner's slightly. one wheelin it around corner's was fun but highway speeds were a handfull at times even tho i had no problem keepin it between the line's it liked to wander and correcting ment there was some body roll involved.

kroussinoffroad

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ferd
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
oh and i might be working somthin out with a buddy who is intrested in pickin up my truck and ordering a set of arm's and swapin a 30 back in it. but i will be hangin onto the truck until this build is a little further along and i'm in need of some serious coin to finish it.

AlaskanRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nothing like making surprising discoveries while chasing wires in a new-to-you vehicle.

Good luck finding deals on parts. Hopefully something pops up for you.

Looks really clean for a 93! Nice.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Scribed. Clean motor!

kroussinoffroad

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ferd
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nothing like making surprising discoveries while chasing wires in a new-to-you vehicle.

Good luck finding deals on parts. Hopefully something pops up for you.

Looks really clean for a 93! Nice.
i think most of the surprises are outta the bag and fixed/removed now.

well as i stated i started workin on it friday night removing the suspension. amazingly for a northern vehicle everything came appart very nicely. did not incounter a single seized bolt. even tho the shackles were rotted right out the bolts came out like they were put in yesterday.

the begining of the end for the ttb

rear shackles

hard to believe that it was considerably clean on the underbody and frame and these were that rusted

a lil tease, when it's done it will prolly be about 2 inches higher

crossmember is in place, jsut need to drill the other 10 holes and bolt it into place. also going to redo the front mounts on the trany corssmember part as i dont really like them. they work but just dont seem to be the best way of doing it.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good thing is everything just kind bolts right on from the mazda.

kroussinoffroad

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ferd
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
everything is moving along nicely. no pictures to add yet even tho the front has tires on and is sitting on it's own. i'm currently using ratchet straps (again) to keep the axle centered.
should be placing a order with ruff stuff in the next day or so for some needed parts.
will be correcting spring angle and a few other things on this go around just have to stay tuned to see i guess.

BTW in post #10 4th pic down it looks like it is scratched to shnit. that is just reflections of the tool box and other misc stuff. kinda scared myself as i scrolled down and glanced at it.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I remember the ratchet straps from the D30 build on the mazda...not the safest thing to have holding a suspension up or under your vehicle.

kroussinoffroad

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ferd
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
have my shackles built for the rear, they are a little long but will suffice. guess ide rather the shackles a little longer than have to run blocks again. no pictures as i just dont have the time to upload them tonight. but making headway day by day. need to get my butt in gear and order the parts i need to get the front complete.

Good thing is everything just kind bolts right on from the mazda.
everything fits into place but as far as bolts in, eh there are definately some differences, the frame on this is double wall so drillin the holes is proving to be twice as much work then on the mazda, also there is minimal room on the backside for the nuts. the rear bolted in place but i'm not sure if it's how this is setup or what but i will definately need to order some shims to correct the pinion angle, it's pretty close to 0 right now.

I remember the ratchet straps from the D30 build on the mazda...not the safest thing to have holding a suspension up or under your vehicle.
plenty strong for just holding things centered while sittin in the garage. using a bit larger straps this time as it's what i had on hand. still need to plate the frame and order my TB bracket so i can get everything ready to cycle the suspension and possiably order some bumpstops

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bumpstops...what are those:icon_twisted:...oh wait those are currently my shocks:annoyed: Good thing is my front rarely maxes out on road so Im fine for now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals