• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 Swap Explorer Exhaust

JordanHackworth

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm swapping a 1999 Explorer 5.0 into a 2000 3.0 Flex Fuel Ranger and the exhaust runs right into a crossmember behind the transmission.

The Explorer doesn't have that crossmember, and instead has one that bolts in closer to the transmission. Without having looked too closely at it, it doesn't seem like the gas tank is bolted to the crossmember and it could be cut out and replaced with the one from the Explorer, assuming the rest of the exhaust is a complete bolt in.

Can anyone tell me what they've done with the exhaust from the transmission back?

Thanks!

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
After the second set of cats I just welded some pipe on from Oriellys then welded a flowmaster 2 chamber muffler onto each pipe and made hangers for them. Real simple and sounded awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm swapping a 1999 Explorer 5.0 into a 2000 3.0 Flex Fuel Ranger and the exhaust runs right into a crossmember behind the transmission.

The Explorer doesn't have that crossmember, and instead has one that bolts in closer to the transmission. Without having looked too closely at it, it doesn't seem like the gas tank is bolted to the crossmember and it could be cut out and replaced with the one from the Explorer, assuming the rest of the exhaust is a complete bolt in.

Can anyone tell me what they've done with the exhaust from the transmission back?

Thanks!
The second crossmember your refering to that is bolted to the bottom of the framerails is in the extended cabs frames, and it was there to hold the carrier bearing for the 2-piece driveshaft. Some models came with a 1-piece aluminum driveshaft so there is nothing bolted to the crossmember in that case. The gastank does not mount to it, it hangs from the frame.

Most guys that are lowered or bagged just get rid of the member completely, I've had a few ext cabs without it, and noticed no differences with or without it.

If you are concered with rigidity or frame twist and want to keep it, you can always just redrill holes further back to remount it.

JordanHackworth

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The second crossmember your refering to that is bolted to the bottom of the framerails is in the extended cabs frames, and it was there to hold the carrier bearing for the 2-piece driveshaft. Some models came with a 1-piece aluminum driveshaft so there is nothing bolted to the crossmember in that case. The gastank does not mount to it, it hangs from the frame.

Most guys that are lowered or bagged just get rid of the member completely, I've had a few ext cabs without it, and noticed no differences with or without it.

If you are concered with rigidity or frame twist and want to keep it, you can always just redrill holes further back to remount it.
Thank you! That makes perfect sense.

Big Puddin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
351 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
I rolled around under my 03 ranger supercab last night while modifying the transmission crossmember to bolt my C6 to it. So, I'm planning duals also and looked at that brace. While it is not attached to the gas tank in any way, it appears to be protection for the gas tank and frame reinforcement. I'm leery of removing mine for those reasons. But did consider while looking at it, I might take it out, make some exhaust tubing holes in it and reinstall it. I didn't notice any other frame cross bracing other than it, in the back portion of the frame.

Big Puddin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
351 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
I'm completely wrong and that other poster has great idea. Messing with mine last night, I noticed it only protects about 4" of an otherwise 3' long gas tank. And is not the only frame bracing in immediate area. The only negative is not bolted, riveted.
I decided to bust out the grinder on my own rivets and remove and intend to add to list of chores.

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm completely wrong and that other poster has great idea. Messing with mine last night, I noticed it only protects about 4" of an otherwise 3' long gas tank. And is not the only frame bracing in immediate area. The only negative is not bolted, riveted.
I decided to bust out the grinder on my own rivets and remove and intend to add to list of chores.

Sorry yes, they are riveted not bolted. Grinding the rivets is relatively quick and easy, I have done many ford rivets over the years, and the fastest method is to cut on edge and make an X or * shape in to the head first with your cutting wheel, then go at it flat and grind the pieces off, then once you ground it flush use a big punch and smack it with a mallet it will pop right out provided you have ground it completely flush to the frame.

Much faster getting some of the head material off cutting lines into it than just coming in from the side or top to grind first.

Big Puddin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
351 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
Got mine out of the way yesterday afternoon, thanks for posting that tip. I made tic tac toe grid with 4" cutoff disc on electric grinder and knocked off bits with 4&1/2" grinder, then put floor jack under each side as I put some pressure and popped it with ball peen hammer little end vigorously and popped it right out. GREAT idea to remove for room.

Big Puddin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
351 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
Humidity was so high here yesterday didn't want to run my compressor and keep having to drain and so forth. It was some kinda hot And muggy.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals